odd military box, for stove?

I was hoping you could help me identify a piece that I have. I had identified it as a stove but when I put pictures up on a WWII reenactor site they told me that it was not originally such. It is 3 feet by 34 inches by 8 inches tall. It has a rubber gasket around the lid to make it waterproof and has diamond shaped red insignia with 111 written inside it. It also has normal military nomenclature, such as "Box No. 82, Cubic feet…Wt…). I have pictures up on the internet so you can see it. It has been repainted several times and the insignia is on all of the layers. The original layer is that good brown as they used in WWII followed by the typical OD of WWII. On top of that is a greener green like the green on surplus ammo boxes. Going by color and a 37th division insignia I think it is WWII era but they told me that the latches were too heavy duty to be used on a stove of that era. The reenactor site thought that it was more likely made into a stove later on, probably by the boy scouts. I have trouble believing that because everything in it seems original including the grill (the stove itself is gone and this was the initial cause for me research because I wanted to find out what burners would have gone into a stove like this). YOu can view the pictures at: http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll295/albatrosdva/

Anyone that can tell me anything about this I will greatly appreciate it.