Off Topic Movies

Just watched Alexander.

Anyone else think it was boring drivel? I mean all the Macedonians had Irish accents, and the whole movie had a distinctive Gay feel.

Anyway, that being besides the point, all that jumping to and fro in time just put me off. I prefer the old beginning middle and end style of movie.

I was even bored with 2 battle scenes in what was a nearly 3 hour movie. Im glad I watched it on DVD as I may have walked out of the movie (not unknown for me to the Chagrin of Mrs FF).

In sum, if you have not seen this, dont bother, go see Willie Wonka instead (a much better film anyway).

Sorry for being off-topic as well but I figured this was as good a place to put it as any.

I’ve never seen so many people leave a film early as when I saw Alexander. It has to be one of the worst films ever made.

How can you seriously claim to make a film about the life of Alexander the Great, then skim over the bit where he becomes King, unifies the greeks and conquers Egypt? As for the Herodotus death scene - well, the audience where I watched it laughed and cheered at what was supposed to be a tear-jerking moment.

It should be compulsory viewing for all people connected with the film industry as an example of what happens if a bunch of people with their decapitated heads stuck up each other’s arses try to make cinema.

Troy is better ,have interestings battles.

Quite liked troy.

It was remotely similar to the actual story.

Just wathcing Girl next door, with Elisha cuthbert.

I would put a smiley here but there is no smiley available for seeing her neked!!! :smiley:

Well it was considered normal then and is still not as frowned upon in Greece as it is in other countries.

Well it was considered normal then and is still not as frowned upon in Greece as it is in other countries.[/quote]

From what Ive been reading recently (inspired by Minimalistic - thanks for that), Alexanders own men frowned on his Gayness as it was not the standard Gayness acceptable. This acceptable one was for older men to take the younger lads under their wing (so to speak), Sandy on the other hand liked them a bit older.

Doesn’t that just make him the younger of the bizarre pairing ?

Ahem, to be very crude, I think it all comes down to who is giving and who is taking!!!

Doesn’t that just make him the younger of the bizarre pairing ?[/quote]

I meant he liked thim to be about the same age…

Well yes, I know the Romans only believed the receiver i.e. dominated was the Gay one…

Myabe we should go back on topic, this can go anywhere (As the Bishop said to the nun)…

This picture was a complete frustration to me. I don’t mind the Irish, but not in a movie telling of the Ancient World.
I hate poofters and I don’t think Alexander the Great was one. Probably, the sponsors/producers of the picture have that touch about them :twisted:

Troy is beautiful, picturesque. One can see that the makers of the film actually put something more than technology in it. Leastways, it is dishy.
Alexander the Great is complete piffle. And that poof feeling about it all. I am glad I did not watch it through.
And Jolie trying to make out an ancient queen looks…ridiculous.
I do think they dropped a clanger this time

Firefly creating this room even though you have named it specifically off-topic movies you are still acting off topic, the movie room is situated under WW2 and anything to do with WW2, if you want to make a movie room about anything irrelevant to WW2 then please make it in the “General” section.
I have moved this room to the “General” forum.

:!: Topic moved :!:

Your a MOD?

Editted to add, I think I realise what Erwins deal was now.

i got the exacly same response from everyone thats seen it and havnt been bothered to go out and see it (see how Alexander says his Greek in all in the movie, saw it in trailers) anyways, to stop the whole arguement, i did have a big desire to see it, till everyone told me not to waste 3 hours of my life seeing it, so i havnt

i HATED alexander. it was sooo boring, there was no plot, and the battle scenes were ridiculus. how many times did the camera cut from one guy to another during the first battle scene? 400? any ways it was a dud at the box office, it only grossed $30 million.

To be honest both Alexander and Troy bored me though troy had some pretty shots. I watched an old (1962) movie called The 300 Spartans recently, No CGI no big names but a top movie that beat them both hands down.

Alexander was quite a bore, he seemed like a very weird person aswell.
I think some disgusting parts of the movie is where the Elephant loses its Trunk and the blood pours out… :shock:

ive got that movie on DVD, and that is the BEST movie on Ancient Greece or Greek Mythology

MOST of the history in it is correct, but its a little over exagerrated

The movie makes out that there was only 300 Spartans fighting 100,000 Persians, while the truth behind this battle there was ALL UP around 5000-6000 Greeks fighting the 100,000 Persians not just 300 Spartans and few hundred Phocians and Thebans like the movie makes it out

for the people that dont know about the 300 Spartans,This battle the movies is based on is the Battle of Thermopylae which happened during the Second Persian War

basically due to religious festivals Sparta was only able to deploy 300 of its might army which was King Leonidas’ personal body guards (the King also fought in the battle and died like every other Spartan) and Athens couldnt deploy its army as it needed time to build up a might navy

anyways, so they went to The Pass of Thermopylae (which is North East of Athens and North West of Delphi) and the few thousand Greeks fought against the Persians… When the Greeks were betrayed and the Persians were showed by a Greek named Ephialtes a way through the mountains so they could ambush the Greeks, so basically King Leonidas told the rest of the Greeks to run and save themselves which they did except for his 300 Spartans who wanted to fight till death

so basically they fought till they died as it was a dishonour in Spartan culture for a Spartan to come back alive but face there back to the enemies

basically a Spartan mother would rather her Son die in battle then come back alive but run from the enemy

all up of the 100,000 Persians, 20,000 of them died by the hands of the soldiers in Thermopylae, which as u can see by the statistics were vastly outnumbered