Ohrdruf, death march?

Hi,

Completely by accident I came upon a memorial to the death marches south into Germany from KZ Lagers that were falling to the Russian advance in 44/45. It was in Ohrdruf, against the wall of an old fort/castle (a vague term, but of military importance at some point), on a quiet back street lined with what looked like the original trees lining an allee, or lining a road linking it up with the Gotha Road, perhaps. Unfortunately, my pictures were destroyed, and for the life of me I can’t find reference either to this fort, on the edge of town, the death march (with these particulars), or the monument. It’s frustrating. It’s not the so-called “Ohrdruf Castle”, which was built in the thirties, and it’s not Schloss Eberstein, that the town advertises so well, and it’s not on the troop training grounds. Those begin about a kilometre away, roughly to the west, if I wasn’t totally turned around. Most of what is left of it is the walls, and one gruesome looking iron gate. What struck me about the monument was that it contained a map showing the routes the prisoners (and their guards) took on their way slightly west and largely south, as they flowed on an entire network of roads, filling up the entire countryside for what seemed like a breadth of 50 kilometres. That was a haunting picture, given that I was in Germany researching those roads.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, so I can recover this information? What I’d really love to have are dates, and that darned map. Well, ok, I’d love to have my pictures, too, but I can’t have those. :wink:

Thanks.

Rhenisch