Olympics!!!

Hey members, how bout this summers Olympics. It looks like its a compitition with China in first, USA in second, and Germany in third. Here’s a site to see the rankings of your country if I didn’t say it.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

Alright, 4th for France, 8th for England, and 29th for Canada. Canada could do better, but it’s better than I thought they were doing. Go Britain, Canada, and France!

Bear in mind if Phelps was a country he’d be 9th. Not bad for one man.

Good point lol

All statistics have preliminary charakter of course, first await the doping tests or if China lets some 12-year-ol-girls start for 16 again…

Hahaha, they would…

Man the 20 years old do look like 12 years old in China

No, seriously!
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-gymnastics28-2008jul28,0,5659114.story

A side note: chinese newspaper “Xinjing Bao” reports that during the opening ceremony 900 chinese soldiers wore diapers. During the ceremony they had to persevere for seven hours beneath some giant chinese charakters without being allowed to use the john. :-?

Wow, so its true that they are younger, if you read by there names when it pops up it says like 16, 18, or 20

More like 14. But yes, I saw a report where Chinese gymnastics websites were scrutinized, and some of the Chinese girls were said to be 13 or 14 in their bios…

Even the Russian coach said the US girls should have won gold…

Well, he just won number eight…

Yes, it’s a good job the GB team won another in the Yachting as he’s giving us a run for our money!!

Most results like for example the 100m sprint, where that jamaican pulverised the world record and didn’t even finish full speed definatly raise my suspicion big time.

I agree. The likelihood of two “physical specimens” coming out of a small country like Jamaica in such a short while does raise suspicions…

A kid from my very small home town won gold today.
Wow!!! I wen to school with her Dad and used to work with her Grandpa.
Pardon me while I bask in the reflected glory.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/08/16/1218911430910.html

The Romanian Woman who won the 42 Km marathon was 38 yrs old I believe.My hat goes off to her. What a woman. It must be so painful to run for almost 2.5 Hrs. A sprint is over in like 10 seconds but this marathon is the real Mccoy!

Hang on a second here. Not only is he probably the most tested athlete in Olympic history, he is also one of the first really tall sprinters (hence will have significantly longer stride length, etc.). Furthermore, truly exceptional athletes will be genetically predisposed to excel at a particular sport - in which case you would expect clusters of exceptional athletes from a particular area. The Rift Valley in East Africa is a good example - the majority of the best very long distance runners in the world come from that area. Why should Jamaica not have a similar cluster of very good sprinters?

Do you really believe the tests have any significance. You actually have to be pretty stupid to get caught. Tour de France and the doping cases here in germany have proven that beyond any further doubt. The guys actually confessed, they didn’t really get caught. This was in the course of this fuentes guy investigation in spain.
Maybe in a couple of years they check up his tests again and find something with refined methods.

I agree with this, the ethiopians for example have statistically a higher calf and thus a longer achilles heel than europeans for example. This gives them a great advantage in long range running. It is very possible, that the unfortunate events of the arrival of the black jamaican population led to a biological selection which now favors them in sprinting.

But nevertheless, I am absolutely certain, that all professional sports today is fubar with doping. The scientists developing training methods agree there, the performance jumps are too big. The guy could probably be the fastest as well if no one doped, but I say we’ll never know since I think they’re all doped and the effects vary for the different athletes.

I was under the impression that being 6’5" doesn’t always make for great foot speed since, well, there really haven’t been any. He may have a longer stride, but also longer limbs interrupt proper form and the shear body weight of a taller man often compensate for this benefit…

Furthermore, truly exceptional athletes will be genetically predisposed to excel at a particular sport - in which case you would expect clusters of exceptional athletes from a particular area. The Rift Valley in East Africa is a good example - the majority of the best very long distance runners in the world come from that area.

If you mean the Kenyans, that is not all genetic. It’s at least partly “construction” also because of the fact that they train at a high altitudes and run up mountains from a very early age. They simply have encultured distance running and put a great emphasis on it…

Why should Jamaica not have a similar cluster of very good sprinters?

It’s possible. But there really doesn’t seem to be a tradition there of sprinters…