Original 1945 SKS Simonov

Hey everybody, I bought an original Soviet Russian SKS Simonov, a surplus rifle from the 1945 production lines. It even still has the Red Star burnt into the stock, with a serial number having been added in later on, obviously to make it possible to be sold here in Canada.

As I said, it’s an original, and it’s brand new - it has never been issued or fired. The dealer I got it from took it fresh out of an original Russian crate, filled with roughly 20 of them. When I asked him where the heck he had those from, he just smiled and said ‘Good contacts in Russia’.

Honi soit qui mal y pense… :wink:

If you have one, too, post a picture of it!!

If you want someone to “break in” your new old virgin rifle, I’ll be more than happy to put a few rounds down range. :smiley:

Too late, Nick, I already popped its Cherry. Feel free to get up here and fire a few shots if you don’t mind the long drive, though :mrgreen:

Kinda sucks that I had to reduce the magazine capacity to five shots, as required by Canadian law. When you look at the image with the open mag, you can see a little bump looking out of the bottom of the cover - that’s where the limiter sits. It’s easy to remove in case of… say a Zombie invasion, but it’s still annoying… :smiley:

Oddly enough, I hardly had to adjust the sights at all. They were almost perfect from the get go, I only had to do some very minor adjustments.

Thing is a bitch to clean after each firing, though. I’m using relatively cheap ammo, so it’s crucial to always clean it after each session.

It must be said that the factory sighting on Russian rifles is usually very good when combined with Russian factory ammunition. I found that my hand-loads would shoot a little left, on both the Tokarev and the 91/30, but otherwise I can’t really complain.

Is that so? Do you have the cleaning issue with the Russian factory ammo, too? I feel like the powder is very aggressive…

Ja, dass ist so.

It’s not the powder, it’s the mercuric primers.

Flush the barrel with a litre or so of boiling water, dry it out, then clean as normal with your normal solvent.

Alternatively, scrub the bore with wet hand soap first, dry completely, then clean as normal with your normal solvent.

Weak ammonia solution also works great, but is appalling stuff to work with.

Remember that you need to do all of this to all gas-affected parts, i.e. piston, gas cylinder etc. You need to do this the same day that you shoot, unless you douse everything in WD40, in which case it will keep overnight.

Then no more rust!

Nice ive got a pic of mine somewhere ill see if i can find it and by the way how much did u pay for yours?

I payed $250 Canadian - I think that’s a pretty good price, especially considering it is (was) unused…

Hearty Congratulations my friend. :smiley:
A very nice weapon indeed!

Such thing won’t, I fear, be coming this far south.
Then again, I don’t need to worry about the “zombie invasion” : the zombies already run the country here.:(:shock:;):lol::mrgreen:

Warm Regards, Uyraell.

Actually, Uyraell, the SKS used the be a hugely popular hunting rifle in Australia, until they were banned in the 80s (don’t ask me why, they just were). So chances are that all the leftovers made the jump to New Zealand. If you want one, it might be worth just inquiring at an arms dealer’s.

Also, there’s a lot of surplus around, mainly because it was in active service with the Soviets for a veeery short time, quickly getting replaced by the AK-47…

Hello,
I am new to it. but i really want to get one. you said that you got new unused russian sks in canada. where ?
thank you shuultz

A little Mil-Surp store in Halifax. But don’t ask me where he got those rifles from, I don’t have a clue :smiley:

That’s really an awesome one! I would’ve wanted to have one too!

Could you please post a picture of the top reciever cover? The one that has a star and production year on it!

Thank you

There are hundreds of SKS over here in New Zealand.
With the right category licence you can retain the 30 round mag for the exposed mag models.
Yes the ammo isn’t exactly the best and does make it hard to clean. I have a chinese sks in drag and a real Drag. Great hunting weapons and with a BFA they are great for re-enactment scenarios.

Don’t take Uyraell too seriously, he’s just bitter he can’t get his NZ firearms licence.

Schuultz, nice SKS what year was it manufactured and by whom? I just aquired a Russian (Tula 1955-1956 production) one as well, no way as nice as yours though.