Overall World War 2 General!!!

The name speaks for its self who do you think is the overall best world war 2 general,mine would have to be Patton :cool:

Oh and also i need some nominess or whatever

For results on a huge scale, nobody is going to come near Zhukov.

For results on a smaller scale, bearing in mind that he was the amphibious invader and vastly outnumbered by the defender which theoretically is the path to quick defeat, Yamashita in Malaya.

Slim!

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-heroes/slim.htm

Thanks for reminding me that Iā€™m verging in Alzheimerā€™s. :slight_smile:

I was thinking about the candidates before I posted. Slim was the third one, but I forgot him.

In my defence, I had lunch in between reading and posting so I had an extended CRAFT* moment. Itā€™s a marvel I remembered anything over such a long period.

Slim definitely. And largely overlooked by just about everybody, except those who know just how good he was, and how many problems he overcame. The European generals had it easy compared with him.

*Canā€™t Remember A Fucking Thing

Thought you might enjoy seeing your Avatar again? :smiley:

Yeah, just keep rubbing it in that itā€™s gone. Iā€™ve noticed, too. :slight_smile:

I know how to find it, but when Iā€™m flat out like a dog trying to bury a bone on a marble floor trying to be very, very good so that I can stay up very late to deal with earth-shattering revelations like yours about my avatar ā€¦

That was going somewhere, but Iā€™ve lost it. Just like my bloody avatar! :slight_smile:

I thought Iā€™d found it for you? :mrgreen:

You sound surprisingly like Mrs Rising Sun on the one day of the year!

Very Good!!!:smiley: Please offer her my commiserations.

Wasnā€™t Yamashita beaten by Slim, eventually?

ā€˜Uncle Billā€™ is the outstanding General!

However, hereā€™s a little something for yOu friends of Patton:

http://www.military.com/LeaderShipTest/1,16183,main.htm,,00.html

On the Russian side, Zhukov and Rokossovsky have to be counted among the all time great generals. Slim was (IMHO) easily their equal, and Eisenhowerā€™s understanding of coalition warfare puts him among the greats too. Thatā€™s about it though - the usual suspects of Patton, Montgomery and MacArthur were never as good as their reputations.

Weekly ā€œbest generalā€ - thread I see :smiley:

My vote goes to von Manstein. For non-german general maybe Zhukov.

And for ā€œmost overrated and overhyped generalā€ I vote for Patton and Rommel.

Whereā€™s the ā€œbest tankā€ - thread? ;-D

_

Erwin Rommel

Rommel was the overall General in World War 2. Even that this might sound suprising I think Rommel was a better general then Patton. Rommel was an awesome tank general of the war. I totally disagree with Hitler of giving him the death penalty. If he did not they would kill his family. So he decided it would not be worth his family dieing for him.
Rommel in Africa

I have been arguing with 32Bravo on the best allied general, but that does not mean Patton was my overall General choice in World War 2.

I have been arguing with 32Bravo on the best allied general, but that does not mean Patton was my overall General choice in World War 2.

Now thatā€™s unkindā€¦I wasnā€™t aware that we were arguing?

Some fellow (above) mentions ā€˜weeklyā€™ thread on best General. Personally, I would prefer to name the thread the ā€˜Best Generalsā€™. There were those that were over-rated and those that were under-rated. We all have our favourites. I believe that some of the really good ones were not necessarily those that spring immediately to mind, but the ones that quietly got on with the job. There were good Generals that were Divisional and/or Corp commanders, not necessarily Army commanders.

On the British side there was Slim ,of course (but there were others), on the American side I immediately think of Omar Bradley. There were others from other countries. So why not examine a few of these Generals. Maybe destroy a few myths and discover some really excellent Generals?

I would ask ā€˜What is it that defines a good Generalā€™ before lining them up.

Well, would anyone care to get the ball rolling?

Wow the funny our forum of funny new threads :smiley:
What sence had this threadā€™s question - overal best general?
What could be the measure?The propoganda stuff in the its country or charismata of general in its state?
One more stupid thread like the lasts ones .

BTW
Guys why do you love the Georgy Zhukov so much;)?
Iā€™m rather prefer the best russian general was Konev - at least he more carefully thought about his soldiers. In fact during the final battle ā€œStorm of Berlinā€ the Konev had used more succesfull and right tactic than the Zhukov and his troops had a lesser casualites.

The best axis general was the Manstein - i have no any doubts.
Although this bastard supported the cynical tactic of ā€œburning landā€ in the Ukraine during the germans retreat in 1943-44.

The best allies general i think was the Montgomerry ( or Slim)

Well we are getting there with Konev. He merits a mention because he considered his soldiers (That is one of the reasons some of us Brits think SLim was so good) also, you imply that Konev was a better tactician than ,say, Zhukov.

To me, this is interesting. On the one hand I am learning something of Konev, whom I have never heard of before now. Also, you are describing his merits i.e. that which makes him worth considering as a good General. If this is stupidity, well, I can live with being stupid, old chap. Keep this up and youā€™ll positively inspire me. :cool:

Noway mate .
I mean the stupid matter to compare the different nation generals - how coud you compare for instange the role of the Manstain and Patton?Who was the better?
This is purely rhetorical question for me.

Not my idea. I would have preferred to name the thread ā€œWho were the best Generalsā€. Nationality would then become incidental. There were Generals who happened to be the best perople for the job (whichever job) in given situations, at the time, in the various theatres - cometh the hour, cometh the man!

Iā€™m rather against international competitions. It just smacks of jingoism. So I donā€™t disagree. In fact, Iā€™m more interested in examining the qualities that one might consider as prerequisite to being a good General, that way we could abandon personalities all together - what do you think?

just got a poll up,if i forgot somebody tell me and if dont like this theard sorry and sorry about the title

oh yea my vote goes to the greatest general in my eyes patton