Owzat!

Cricket is a man’s game!

Yesterday’s top play. :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLt4wTtOQPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=706552WGY5M

LATE EDIT: The reference in the second video to Symonds training for a season with the Broncos and going back there for fitness training refers to a professional rugby league club. Might explain how he knew just where to hit the streaker to drop him.

What is the game Cricket?:slight_smile:
Just do not tell me this is as good and cool as European football;)

It’s the English equivalent of what baseball would be if baseball was played by gentlemen, which pretty much rules out most Americans, and most Japanese who also play baseball as a consequence of Doug MacArthur, who oddly enough was an American gentleman of sorts, convincing a beaten people to play American games, or else. :wink:

Unlike World Series baseball, international cricket actually involves more than just the teams in America playing against each other in the belief that America is the whole world. :wink:

Another difference is that the batsmen in cricket don’t hide in trenches covered with chicken wire during the game, nor do they come out en masse and attack the bowler if they’re somewhat dissatisfied with his conduct.:smiley:

Australia has tended to dominate international cricket for a couple of decades, but that’s not our fault, and we don’t like to advertise it, either, because we are a naturally humble people. Especially when flogging the Poms. :wink:

Some people claim that Australians cricketers, like the rest of their countrymen, aren’t gentlemen, but when we’re winning at cricket, who gives a shit? :smiley:

I believe the English play European football in the winter, but my only source of information for that is shabby magazines in barber shops which occasionally publish a picture of Mr Posh Spice or whatever his name is. I think his wife is involved in cricket. Her anorexic legs are used as reserve stumps, when they’re not being used as pipe cleaners. :smiley:

‘What does he know of cricket who only cricket knows?’

This becouse MAc Arthur wanted to beat them finally, not just military but and mentally:)
He just enjouyed when the Japs play in the American foolish game:)
What a monster:)

Unlike World Series baseball, international cricket actually involves more than just the teams in America playing against each other in the belief that America is the whole world. :wink:

Another difference is that the batsmen in cricket don’t hide in trenches covered with chicken wire during the game, nor do they come out en masse and attack the bowler if they’re somewhat dissatisfied with his conduct.:smiley:

You know we have already the bunch of idiots in Moscow nowaday who play in the baseball.They even have a own russian “Leage”:smiley:
Obviously they all are Agent of Influence and American Spies:)
Early in the USSR they could play just in the Lynatic Asylums:)
But after collaps of Soviet ther were dismissed , so now they play in a stadiums.
So nobody could help any more for poor ill mans:)
Coz what normal guy will play in that game?:smiley:

Australia has tended to dominate international cricket for a couple of decades, but that’s not our fault, and we don’t like to advertise it, either, because we are a naturally humble people. Especially when flogging the Poms. :wink:

You are humble, this is for sure:)
And i like your gentle Cricket.

Some people claim that Australians cricketers, like the rest of their countrymen, aren’t gentlemen, but when we’re winning at cricket, who gives a shit? :smiley:

Becouse some peoples still have not seen the American footballers. Who are really “gentle”:slight_smile:

I don’t know much about cricket, so I don’t know what someone who knows only cricket knows, but as Donald Rumsfeld said, I know there are things that are known that I don’t know etc etc :smiley:

But Symonds’ gentle coathanger shows that a bit of rugby training never goes astray on the pitch. :smiley:

ROFLMFAO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let me guess who sponsors them?

McDonalds. Moscow?

Or Kentucky Fried Chicken, Moscow?

http://www.visualsunlimited.com/images/watermarked/312/312103.jpg

Not to be confused with KFC in Moscow, Idaho, USA, which better hope that the people who did the US ICBM target co-ordinates know the difference. :smiley:

Wasn’t directed at you in particular, muckah.

Just a bit of cricket culture derieved from:

‘What knows he of England who only England knows?’

No wuckers, mate. I didn’t think it was.

Well, I’m not much better informed there, either. :smiley:

Cricket is a good excuse to spend a whole day sitting out in the sunshine getting slowly drunk and not being worried about getting into a fight.

The game itself is secondary (and rather baffling – and this is coming from someone who used to score schoolboy level cricket when he was a schoolboy).

Cricket must have been far more exciting in its heyday in the 1840s, the batsmen wearing no padding and both teams imbibing prodigious quantities of alcohol before, during, and after the games.

George MacDonald Fraser’s book “Flash for Freedom” gives good reading on this period in cricket through the eyes of that great Imperial rogue Harry Flashman. The appendix on cricket is also remarkably enlightening.

Reasonably accurate, apart from substituting quickly for slowly. :wink:

Not here, mate. :wink:

Why we respect, or at least fear, our women, after the cricket and any other time. :wink:

Short version

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8AFZOE4kAw
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgmMpp7Rao

Longer version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ud5o-8eOnk

The Japanese played baseball even before WWII…

In fact, it was introduced there in the 1870s, which is why they’re so good at it!

In Beyond a Boundary, the West Indian author CLR James asked “What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?”
Wanting an answer, he uncovered a tempestuous tale of empire, race and sport, a book dying to be written.

But Beyond a Boundary is treasured above all for its cricketing lore. WG Grace, a colossus who bestrode eras, defining an age, bringing pleasure to millions; Windies allrounder Learie Constantine toiling away in the Lancashire League, his testing ground for the independence movement; George Headley carrying the Windies on his broad back; Bradman rueing, after his 100th century, his being unable to play “in the way I would always have loved had circumstances permitted.” They and many others bat on, never out.

Unlike most Marxist intellectuals, James owed his sense of justice to the ideal of ‘fair play’; his dialectics sprang from the Iliad, Shakespeare, Tom Brown’s Schooldays and Thackeray - he knew Vanity Fair by heart. If his puritan, churchgoing upbringing lent his prose a brimstone edge, Pecksniff kept him from becoming a humbug. West Indian reality did the rest.

When Beyond A Boundary appeared in 1963, defeat - or pessimism - seemed unimaginable; onward and upward, James implied, ending his study on a high note, with Frank Worrell and his great West Indian side receiving a ticker-tape parade in Melbourne. One wonders what he’d write on the ageing Brian Lara, a latter-day Sisyphus, trying to inspire a largely uninspiring team, Headley all over again. Pure eyewater.

George MacDonald Fraser 1926 - 2008

“It may be tripe but it’s my tripe - and I do urge other authors to resist encroachments on their brain-children and trust their own judgment rather than that of some zealous meddler with a diploma in creative punctuation who is just dying to get into the act.”

Birthplace
Carlisle, England

Education
Carlisle Grammar School; Glasgow Academy.

Other jobs
Fraser joined the army in 1943, fighting in India and Burma during the second world war and later serving with the Gordon Highlanders in the Middle East. From 1947 until 1969 he worked as a journalist in England, Canada and Scotland, and spent a brief period as acting editor of the Glasgow Herald. When he was not subsequently confirmed in the position, he promised his wife he would “write them out” of their financial difficulties, and began working on Flashman at the kitchen table, although it still took him several years to find a publisher. He has also turned his hand to screenwriting, most notably the screenplays of Octopussy and The Three Musketeers.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/authors/author/0,,-234,00.html

Some of his finest writing is contained in his graphic recollections of his Burma service, Quartered Safe Out Here (1992), in which the affectionate portrait of his Cumbrian comrades demonstrated his keen eye for character and acute ear for dialogue. John Keegan, in The Sunday Telegraph, justly called it “one of the great personal memoirs of World War II”.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quartered-Safe-George-MacDonald-Fraser/dp/0007105932

A song by Australian 1970s rock/pop band Sherbet, based on the Cricket term. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJ2m0hyQ4Y

According to the Laws of Cricket, an appeal is a verbal query, usually in the form of, “How’s that?” to an umpire. Since the taking of a wicket is an important event in the game, members of the fielding team often shout this phrase with great enthusiasm, and it has transmuted into the slightly abbreviated form, “Howzat?” often with a greatly extended final syllable. However, recently in international cricket cricketers even actually dance on the field as part of their appeal, urging the umpire to raise his finger, signalling the batsman out. Some players have established their own trademark appeals as well. Occasionally, when a bowler gets a batsman out, he may do the batsman’s trademark appeal as a form of celebration but moreover a slight intimidation.

Take it higher:)
Certainly the CIA:)

McDonalds is a well managed and highly efficient international operation.

The CIA isn’t.

You’ve got nothing to worry about. :smiley:

That’s bother me .
The Effective McDonalds could not start the WW3, even mistakenly .
But CIA easy might:)

Always seeing Zionists and the CIA behind every blade of grass, aren’t we?