Panzerkampfwagen T-34(r) or, T-34s in German Service

From Auchtung Panzer!:

…Captured T-34/76 was designated by the Germans as Panzerkampfwagen T-34 747(r). Large number of T-34/76 tanks was captured and pressed into service contrary to few T-34/85 tanks. T-34/76 was more often captured since from 1941 until mid 1943, Germans were still firmly established on the Eastern Front, while T-34/85 appeared on the battlefield in the winter of 1943, when Germans were already retreating westwards after successful Soviet offensives. Germans were always more than happy to employ as many captured examples as they could and many served with various units. T-34/76 employment by German formations was not always temporary but sometimes permanent until the end of the war. First examples of T-34/76 were in service with 1st, 8th and 11th Panzer Division during the summer of 1941. Although it was considered to utilize captured T-34/76 tanks dangerous because many gunners fired on silhouette instead of markings. In order to prevent such mistakes to take place, crews painted large-dimension crosses or even swastikas. It was very common to paint a cross or swastika on top of the turret in order to prevent the Luftwaffe from attacking. Another way to overcome this problem was to use captured T-34/76 in an infantry support role where recognition problems were not that common. T-34/76D (model 1943) tanks with round twin turret hatches were often nicknamed by the Germans as “Mickey Mouse”, because of their appearance when both hatches were open…Captured T-34/76 tanks were modified to German standards by installation of commander’s cupola, radio equipment along with other non-standard field modifications made during service by the their new owners. Spare parts were never much of a problem and some 300 captured vehicles were maintained on long term bases. T-34/76s tanks were also used as artillery tractors and ammunition carriers. Badly damaged tanks were either dug in as pillboxes or were used for testing and training purposes. Number of T-34/76’s upper hulls with turrets was also mounted on railway wagons designated as Panzerjaegerwagen (tank destroyer wagon). They were used as part of Panzerzug (armored train), Streckenschutzug (railway protection train) and Panzertriebwagen (armored locomotive), including Panzerzug “Michael”.

More at link at the top.

Knocked out example

At Kursk, with prominent friendly markings

At kursk, both with modified turrent

PzKpfw T-34 747(r) from 23rd Panzer Division.

Picture in OP is a T-34/85. I know because its mine.

Chris Berg
www.TankRide.com
chris@tankride.com
651-206-8369

Hi Chris,
Welcome to the Forum.

What a great way to earn living!
Tel us how and where you bought your tank!

Link to view and enjoy:

http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/t_34r.htm

Cheers,

Lancer44

She’s a beaut!

Ok Short History on this Tank.

Built in 1944 one of 300 T-34/85 with the ZIS-S-53 at Factory #112. The barrel is also rifiled which I have been led to believe is rare, but am unsure of this right now.

It was captured by the Viking Division and put into a German Tank Division. The Germans would capture Russian equipment and outfit Divisions with it. The Germans also retooled factories to make the ammo for captured equipment. My tank ended the war in German hands and was placed in a Polish Museum. The tank in now painted in a Russian color scheme. Also I am sure you noticed severl incorrect things about the tank the hatches and the rear deck armor. Both have been removed to make it user friendly and easy to work on.

About 10-15 years ago it was purchased by a collector who was unable to get it running and soon lost interst in it. It was tradeded to Bob Bowman who got it running and started Tank Ride. I purchased Tank Ride from Bob this year and have expanded the busness to include Military Equipment Sales.

I hope to be making a living at his in the near future right now it isa hobby that supports it self. Between the Tank and the Machine Guns I have wonderful weekends every weekend.

The military sales part of the company has made for some strange calls and emails in the last 3 months but make for great stories. I have had Twian call looking for parts for T-34/85’s, Last week I recieved a email from Lebanon wanting to buy T-72 tanks and how soon could they get them, I did not respond I didn’t want to be a part of that.

If any of you are ever in Minnesota stop by and go for a ride. I take great pride in the fact that this is the only WWII combat active tank in the world for the public to ride in and enjoy.

Chris Berg
WWW.TankRide.com
chris@tankride.com
651-206-8369

A common theme seems to be the Swastika or a large cross on top of the turret, this was to prevent the luftwaffe bombing the them. Large crosses were painted on the sides and front to try and prevent friendly fire, though friendly fire still happened due to tank crews firing at a tank based on the tanks shape/silhouette. Another measure to avoid friendly fire was to use the T-34s in an infantry support role, were it was far less likely for the T-34s to be mistaken for Russian armour.

Did you also know that the Germans used the Upper hulls and turrets which they mounted on rail wagons and used as part of the Panzerzug.

Yup. They also mounted the turrents of obsloete French tanks on the Atlantic Wall…

I should have made this a more general thread, the Germans used lots of captured equipment since they had overrun most of Europe, this made sense. I know the Wehrmacht used older armored vehicles such as French tanks in counterinsurgency and internal security roles. I think there is even footage of the French Resistance attacking German Somua S-35s during the Paris Uprising!

The Germans also made use of captured Sherman tanks in support roles…

Here’s some good info from Auchtung Panzer! on the German use of other captured Allied tanks…

Amazing way to make money! I might just visit there when I have enough money and when im older.

Some T-34s were handed over to the italians.

By the way nice t-34 Cris.

They needed them…

Another italian vehicle, used for an artillery regiment.

Friends,

Look through this site:

http://beute.narod.ru/

It`s best collection of photos and information about captured tanks and other vihicles in German army.

Try this link:

http://beute.narod.ru/Beutepanzer/su/color/colour-4.htm

Here is some info about T-34/85 in Wiking division. May be it will be interesting for you.

Excellent site!
Thanks, Sturmfurer!

An article on Achtung Panzer…“Waffen-SS units also did not hesitate to use captured T-34/76 tanks and 2nd SS Panzer Division “Das Reich” and 3rd SS Panzer Division “Totenkopf” pressed significant number into service. T-34/76 tanks used by “Das Reich” are of particular interest. When in March of 1943, SS Panzer Corps recaptured Kharkov, some 50 various models of T-34/76 tank were captured. All of those were being repaired in a local tractor (tank) factory that was overrun and designated as SS Panzerwerk (SS Tank Workshop). Shortly after they were repaired along with being modified to German standards, repainted and marked with German markings. Modifications included installation of commander’s cupola (from damaged Panzerkampfwagen III and IV tanks), Schuerzen (armor skirts) and other equipment such as Notek light, storage boxes, tools, radio equipment and antenna. 25 of them entered service with newly created 3rd SS Panzer Battalion of 2nd SS Panzer Regiment of 2nd SS Panzer Division “Das Reich”.”

Interesting Conversion.

Article…“One of the most interesting conversions based on T-34/76 (model 1943) chassis was 2cm Flakvierling auf Fahrgestell T-34(r), an anti-aircraft tank - Flakpanzer. Also known as Flakpanzer T-34(r), it was armed with 20mm Flakvierling 38, which was a four barreled 20mm anti-aircraft L/115 gun. The armament was mounted in a turret made by field workshop (Werkstattkompanie 653) using armor plates from damaged half-tracks. Ammunition was stored in metal cases on a rack at the rear of the vehicle. It served with headquarters of schwere Heeres Panzerjaeger Abteilung 653, on the Eastern Front in early and mid 1944. Flakpanzer T-34(r) can be compared to post-war Chinese Type 63 anti-aircraft tank based on T-34, which remained in service until late 1980s. In mid 1944, this same unit also used other T-34/76 tanks converted to ammunition carriers designated as Munitionspanzer T-34(r). Also, this unit fielded captured recovery version of T-34 tank mounted with 20mm Flakdrilling, which was twin barreled 20mm anti-aircraft gun. Another interesting conversion was done by Kampfgruppe Kienast in Saxony in 1945 - 88mm Flak 36 gun mounted on a modified T-34/76 chassis.”

Interesting. Were any used on the Western front (the western allies didn’t use the T-34, so friendly fire wouldn’t be an issue) Also, were any converted into APC, ARVs, or engineer tanks?

Some were used as Turretles recovery vehcles, as fare I know only one T-34 was used in the western front to defend the Krupp factory in Kassel fighting against the advancing american troops.

Notable serie of images of an T-34 salvaged from estonian lake. :shock:

http://zonamilitar.com.ar/foros/showthread.php?t=2967