Parts of Atlantic Wall Still Standing

I was looking out of curiosity on google and found out that parts of the Atlantic Wall are still intact. When I visit Europe I’m definately checking this out…

A battery

Another battery from a different view

Isn’t it potentially dangerous to leave an artillery piece intact with no military personel guarding it?

Looks like that battery was moved by erosion…

Mate, theres tons of stuff still standing. As for leaving a gun unattended, rusty rusty etc…

Even in the UK the are loads of coastal defences still standing, well er being moved around by the sand as in some of your photos.

This is off topic slightly in terms of the forums’ “rule” to divide discussion topics by nationality, but there are plenty of Japanese defense installations in the Pacific that are still around too. One picture I have on my site shows Japanese naval guns still sitting at the same spot they were the day Nagumo committed suicide in the caves in which these very guns guarded…

http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=10

Many Many parts of the Atlantic wall is still standing. Apparently its fasinating to check out. As per the Gun standing its probably 65 years old, its worn out, nobody is probably qualified to use it, Most importantly however there would be no ammo for it, and there is no longer WWII german ammo made, its probably an 88, today most countries use NATO ammo which would not fire out of that old cannon, with some exception of Russian ammo with come from past soviet, odd ammo sizes like (125mm, 85mm, etc) whcih is not used by NATO.

Europe is covered in fortifications like that. There are dozens of WW2 bunkers associated with an airbase within a mile of my parents’ house, and there were probably a hundred similar bases in the UK.
The gun itself isn’t dangerous at all. Remember that hundreds of tonnes of unexploded ordnance from both world wars still turns up yearly in Europe - particularly in places like Flanders and around Verdun. That stuff really is dangerous.