Picture of my dad

This is a picture of my daddy, Leonard H. Specht, and I know it must be before 1950. He was born in 1916, and I got the photo from my nephew, whose grandmother was married to Daddy before my mom was. Anyway, I wanted to know what type of airplane this was, if anyone knows. Thank you!

Is the picture supposed to come out so big??? I have tried to make it smaller several times, but alas, to no avail… I am sorry it is so huge.

Looks awfully like one of these to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-6_Texan
Advanced trainer used by just about everybody from 1937 onwards.

Thank you! Stands to reason, as he was a flight instructor in Uvalde, Texas and at Randolph, but Uvalde was in the early days. Thanks so much!!!

Sure looks like a Harvard to me.

Thanks for the info. What is a Harvard?

The Harvard was a training aircraft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-6_Texan

Oh, duh. I feel stupid now. I remember when I looked it up after pdf27’s post, that is what the English called it in the RAF. So you know how if a plane is used as a regular one, then they have a training version, why is the (I guess you would call it) the plane’s model number different? I understand putting the T in front of the numbers, but (and I don’t know if they do it all the time) I have seen some with a totally different number. Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I am trying to learn…
Thanks!

As a boy, during the war, I used to see the Harvard’s from a nearby training station flying. I think that the Harvard was only used as a training aircraft. I could be wrong and I’m sure that someone will correct me if I am. I am not sure of the marking.

I was always told that “the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask.”

That is interesting. Thanks so much for the info. Daddy flew at least six different airplanes that I know of, during different periods of time. I just need to piece them together. He had told me about several, but in my nosing around I have found several others. Then there are periods of time that seem to be non-existent, like he was just not around, when I know he was. More digging necessary, I guess. Thanks!