Pictures of the Pacific in WWII

From the book “The 25th Division and WWII” originally printed in 1946. My copy is from 1996, reprinted by The Battery Press.

Caption reads: Another round goes into one of the 90-mm. anti-aircraft guns used in the 25th Division’s drive up Highway Five. (on Luzon, Philippines) Please excuse the poor picture quality. I don’t have a scanner, so I had to use macro mode of my digital camera.

DSC00241_edited.JPG

From the same book as cited above. Caption reads:
“No super-highway, yet this combat road built by the 65th Engineers in the Balete area did its job.”

For those of you wondering, no I didn’t tilt the photo to make this look really steep. This is the actual pitch of the road! As you can see, I finally figured out how to make the pictures come up bigger.

From same source as the others:
“Engineers insert a box mine into a Luzon road to test a mine detector.” They also used metal detector/mine detectors on the roads. I feel for the guys who had that job.

DSC00238_edited.JPG

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec1999/9912062a.jpg

Navajo Code Talkers. Picture from the site above.

Good pics. Did u ever see the documentary of the Battle for Manila? They got video of 105mm and 155mm firing point blank at buildings from 500 yards!

Here is pic of Navajo Code Talker veteran I met at the WW2 Memorial dedication.

Here are a few pics. My Dad in New Guinea. Seabee recruiting poster. Dad in front of the Seabee Memorial in D.C.

Is that a Reising submachine gun in the code-talker photo?

JT

I know next to nothing about the weapons. I know that my Great Uncle (not a Navajo Code Talker) carried a BAR in the South Pacific, and that a rifle squad was organized around a single BAR with every man being trained in it’s use in case the BAR operator was taken out, but that’s about it. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable guys here can answer the gun question for you. I just liked the picture because I like the story of the “Windtalkers”. P.S. Thanks to Laconia for the great pictures of Seabees. I especially love the one of your dad at the memorial.

Picture of Kamikaze attack.

Seabees and Marines (17th Marines) 1st Marine Division, Build a log bridge across a jungle Stream on Cape Gloucester, New Britain.

Yes it is, an M55 Reising to be exact. (The same type of weapon is seen in another well-known code talker photograph taken on Bougainville. Mike Strank, of flag raising fame, was photographed holding one during that campaign as well.) The M55 is a simplified (ugly?) version of the M50 Reising. Besides having its rate of fire reduced, it lost the Cutts-type compensator and gained a fugly folding wire stock.

I’ve been voraciously devouring everything I can find lately about Iwo Jima, and have been trying to figure out what type of gun Mike Strank is holding in that pic. Thanks - 5 years later!

nice info…thanks!!