Pictures of the U-505 in the chicago museum

I had been through this exhibit 20 years ago, it was impressive. Not as well appointed in comforts like the Cobia in my other post. This was a machine built to do business, and little else.
its a fine job of restoration, and exhibiting, there is a web site, so if you like, you can take the grand tour virtually, and read the history, and the story of its placement in its new home.
I have taken some pics from the website, Sorry that they are not larger, so enjoy them.
This boat was stocked with over 8,000 rounds of the ammo my Lahti rifle uses, wish I could get some of it, such fun!

u505 torps room fwd..jpg

U505 petty off q's.jpg

U505 officer Q's.jpg

U505 galley.jpg

505 connfwd.jpg

505 conn,.jpg

505 conn dive planes.jpg

505 electric room.jpg

505 engines.jpg

505 aft torps, and crew Q's.jpg

505 paint prep..jpg

Cool pics. Did you ever read “Shadow Divers” about some guys looking for a U-boat?

Thanks Herr General, no, I have not, but the winter is coming, so I’ll keep that on my list… I’m waiting for a sunny spell, so I can go north, and shoot some better pics of the Cobia. There was also on the history channel an episode of “Digging for the Truth” about the Confederate submersible Hunley. lost on its mission into Charleston Harbor. Although its whereabouts were known, no one ever though much about raising it, but it has been recovered, and the show takes a look at the whole thing. It should be airing again soon.

I read that book two years ago. Awesome book I couldn’t put it down!

I will have to get it then.

Hi my friend.
And tell me about destiny of this submarine. This is a germans right. So how did it appear in the USA- was it captured or sinked and later lifted up to the sirface?

Hello Chevan, The 505 (German) was captured at sea, and the crew had opened the scuttles, to sink it. The capturing crew had to go in, and shut everything up again to keep it afloat, (barely) it was then brought to the museum in Chicago, once the Gov’t was finished with it, and placed on display there, along with all of the weapons, and equipment it contained. If I remember right, the 505 was due to be destroyed when the museum took it over. There are daily walk through tours of it.
There is a site for the museum, look it up on your search engine if you like, The Chicago museum of science, and industry, and then go to the U-505 .I’m sure that the entire history is there too. I hope this is of help to you, it is an interesting exhibit to go through. The museum is about 140 Km from my town.

Thanks a lot for the care and infor my tankgeezer.

Always happy to share Chevan, Have a good Monday !

they no longer allow you to take pics of the sub. been trhough it dozens of times growing up. now i try to see it when i visit chicago. went back in january and saw it for teh first time in its new, underground bunker. weather-proofed, to save it from deterioration. better now, as you can actually see the outside better. before, you could just walk under it.

Its nice to know that its not rusting away in the cheery Chicago weather, Doesnt surprise me about the no photography rule, Though I really dont see the need for it. well, anyway, its a great exhibit, and i recommend it to anyone going to the Chicago area. But get to the museum early, the lines can be pretty long for the Sub tour.

Thanks for posting the pictures :slight_smile:

Surprisingly small number of WWII-era submarines are “open for tourists”, considering how many were produced. But probably there weren’t that much interest in u-boats immediately after the war (except destroying them).

_

Thanks! You can access the website for the museum , there is plenty info about the U-505 there.

Looks a lot roomier than U-995 I saw at Laboe, Germany. Of course it is a type VII C/41 and not a XI C.

Pics:
http://www.german-navy.de/smb/scalemodels/ships/typviic/photos.html

they made the no pics rule because soembody was going through repeatedly to get alot of pics, then selling them on the internet, or so the tourguides said.

I went inside a JMDF sub in a similar exhibit.

Here’s some backstory:

http://www.google.com/books?id=9miCPB0qITwC (U-505: The Final Journey)

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/u505journal.htm#pic01 (slow site)

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/u505documents_main.htm (slow site)