Polish resistance fighter August 1944 - Polish Forces | Gallery

Polish resistance fighter August 1944

Polish resistance fighter with captured German Kar98k rifle, 13/15 Dluga Street, Warsaw, Poland, late Aug 1944

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/polish-forces/34878/polish-resistance-fighter-august-1944

he’s in full waffen ss uniform?

As far as I could see and read (when I was at warsaw airport I bought a nice little booklet :), they used much of the German equipment, including parts and uniforms, since it was best available.

Not quite imi. When you look at his arm, he seems to wear an armband, most likely White & Red, which was designed to identify him as a Pole rather than a German.

I would still love to know how common friendly fire was during those kinds of fighting - even modern armies haven’t solved it, despite typically wearing completely different uniforms from their enemies.

That aside, it amazes me how many pictures of Polish resistance fighters seem to be out there, its almost as if they had their own propaganda division.
Not to get too conspirator-y here, but could it be that several of these images were ‘re-created’ after the cities were liberated? I just have a hard time imagining Polish resistance fighters having the time, or nerve, to pose for a photographer during the battles.