PPSh-41 Submachine Gun in Use by Germans

I have noticed twice in some documentaries, that the Russian PPSh-41 Submachine Gun is carried by German soldiers in combat fotage, can anyone comment on this?

They did.

PPSh-41.jpg

Thanks, excellent photoes, I found this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41

[i]The captured PPSh was in particular a favorite weapon of the Germans. Because of the similarities between the 7.62x25mm Tokarev and the 7.63x25mm Mauser cartridge used in the Mauser C96 pistol, the PPsh was easily supplied with ammunition. In fact so many were captured that it became the second-most-common submachinegun used by German forces. Also, attempts were made to convert the weapon to 9mm Parabellum to conform to German logistics. The Wehrmacht officially adopted the converted PPSh-41 as the MP41(r); unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r). German-language manuals for the use of captured PPShs were printed and distributed in the Wehrmacht. [7]

During the war the PPS, an even more simplified submachine gun, was introduced in Soviet service, although it did not replace the PPSh-41 during the war.[/i]

A lot!

This one’s not a PPSh-41, its a German made Erma EMP.35

it is ,isn’it?I wasn’t 100% sure with all the vegetation around.
Thanks for pointing it out.
I took it out to avoid any more confusion1

There seems to be an awful lot of footage and photos of Red Army soldiers toting MP-40s…

Aside from the ammo being interchangeable W/ the Mauser pistol,(although the Soviet load was hotter) the PPSH was a good reliable weapon in the mud, crud, and cold of the Russian front. The 72 rd. drum magazine alone was reason enough to carry one.
Its typical of most Soviet designs of that time, not pretty, not complicated, not prone to screwing up in the worst conditions.

“MP41” is a frequently used wrong designation for the converted PPSh-41. The original German MP41 was produced by Haenel, I read that it was basically a mixture between the MP28 and the MP40.
About 10000 PPSh-41 were converted to 9mm caliber.

Fragment of a converted PPSh-41. You’d barely see a difference of course - maybe by the mounting for the clip.

Yup, I suspect there was a shortage of automatic weapons available to both sides.

Thankie! It’s not decent to pick on non-native English speakers’ lack of linguistic abilities though.:wink:

Thank Tv, and the movies for the clip/magazine confusion. well, mostly anyway. Lazy or unknowing writers,trying to fit dialog into fast playing scenes, and stories, magazine is too much a mouthful, or thought to be too technical for the audience, so they opt for the short easy word. then the public passes it along until all meaning is lost.I still wonder why a periodic publication may be called a magazine, but Sardines still come in a “can”…