Psyops

I was looking through some links to the Aden operations and came across this Psyops post.

There is little on this site regarding Psyops, yet that together with other forms of intelligence and counter intelligence operations are crucial to most ‘modern’ campaigns. here is a little something to kick things off, a quote from the link below:

HOW TO DISTURB THE BRITISH

In addition to Commando acts, it is possible to destroy anything connected to the British by:

1. Rendering their air conditioners useless – in their houses or in their offices.
  2. By pouring sugar or earth in the petrol tanks of their cars.
  3. By puncturing their tires with nails or other things.
  4. By breaking the water pipes in their houses or offices.
  5. By making the British cars that are parked near their houses or offices useless, by puncturing the tires, pouring sugar or earth into their petrol tanks, by breaking glass or breaking other things.
  6. By opening the oil pipes and letting the oil run out.
  7. By distributing leaflets in English and leaving them in British owned cars or sending them by post to British people.
  8. By setting fire to their cars, NAAFI’s, petrol and arms stores, and to anything British, which is inflammable.

This is a very brief look at the PSYOP of the Aden Emergency.

http://www.psywar.org/aden.php

Setting fire to the Naafi - a bit harsh, me thinks?..but then it probably happens most Saturday nights. :slight_smile:

I expect that the Brits would have been devastated by the effects of “distributing leaflets in English and leaving them in British owned cars or sending them by post to British people.”. So much more effective than a car or letter bomb!

I like the statement in the link that

“The British also used the Saracen Armored Personnel Carrier to take troops into riots and pitched battles, allowing their troops to be protected by armor until such time as they actually arrived at the scene of conflict.”

My recollection of being one of nine men getting into and out of Saracens with longarms and even just basic webbing is that a couple of blokes with baseball bats outside the back door could have dealt with each of us as we tried to exit into a riot. I’d much rather drop the ramp on an M113.

Cricket bats, please !
We do need some decorum in here.

The Paras just poured over the sides of stripped-down land Rovers - much easier. :wink:

Exactly.
Which is why ECBA & Osprey can be double edged swords.
Never mind the dehydration and fatigue, speed of movement is essential.

There again, now we train in the kit all the time fitness levels must have increased !

Yes…speed, surprise and aggression - a good formula! :army: