Question

When Errol Flynn, Jeff Chandler, and their repsective men, were spending weeks deep in the jungles of Burma; fighting the Nip; suffering every kind of privation that is a part of long range patrolling in jungle conditions - how did they all manage to keep their teeth in such excellent condition?

They had them air dropped with supplies.

Like this.

Alas, air drops didn’t always deliver, resulting in Errol Flynn keeping his mouth shut while these three big nose old tarts try to comfort him. Notice where the two sheilas on the left have their hands, and where Errol has his. A bit of comfort there, for sure, not to mention confirming the rumour.

That has to be correct. Scroll down the link to “Chowhound watches the supply drop!”

http://www.peterbrown.tv/merrills.html

Rather pointless, what?

Chowhound has great teeth.

Talk about a pointless death. :wink:

Chowhound’s pictures remind me of the standard instruction when aircraft were above: Don’t look up. White faces show.

Chowhound’s teeth would have been like a bloody lighthouse in the jungle.

I don’t know whether he was a bandit or not, but Jeff Chandler was reputed to be a cross-dresser. He was once engaged to Hollywood, star Esther Williams. http://www.esther-williams.com/index.htm
In an interview, she spoke of being invited around to his place for dinner. Once she had arrived and he had settled her down, he disappeared for a while, returning in a ladies dress together with accessories. Esther called off the engagement stating that she couldn’t bear the thought of her man having a better wardrobe than her. :slight_smile:

I find a lot of cross dressers have AWESOME clothes… a lot have very nice legs and good hair too. Makes me very jealous! LOL…

The ones in England usually have quite a lot of money, also. My sister does their hair and makes a packet. She travels about the country to her clients and rakes it in - fixing their hair that is! (just in case any wise-guys have other thought).

Can’t agree with you regarding the legs, Babe. You have to have a ‘male’ eye to appreciate a good - “Shelagh’s” - leg - I’ll bet the ones that you’re referring to don’t resemble those of your Avatar?

:frowning:

I like it! :slight_smile:

There’s another scene nearer the end of the film where, once again, they’re being resupplied. There are about a platoon of them supposedly hiding in the bush at the edge of clearing, all looking up with an ecstatic smile on their faces (teeth everywhere!), as the airsupply comes along - you have to see it to believe it. :slight_smile:

Having said that. As I recall - not having seen this film for about ten years or more, but the smilies remain vivid :smiley: :smiley: - there is a rather well staged CQB scene, at a railyard. They must have had some half-decent advisors on the set for this scene as it is particularly good for a film of that era.

I think this was Jeff’s last film. If my memory serves me well, he had some form of surgery shortly after filming and arrested on the operating table.

I don’t now if his heart failed at being arrested for being a bandit, or not, but that, I believe, was how he ended his days.

No my avatar is a little on the chubby side. LOL I mean more along the lines of the long thin legs alot of the performing drag queens have. Like supermodel legs.

Know exactly what you mean, babe - that’s my point! :cool:

Anyone know where 1000YDS has gone?

This is as deep and thoughtful as it gets for me.

Is anyone able to think of the letter ‘L’ without the tip of their tongue flexing, contracting or flicking?

That’s easy. here in the U.S. were taught to brush our teeth twice a day and after every meal, so he must have had a tooth brush in his mess kit…

yes, were all familiar with front line dental problems like trench mouth, but all dental hygiene really takes is a small toothbrush (certain tree branches fashioned into a brush like shape could also substitute), and a small tube of toothpaste. The combination of these things cant weigh more than 6 ounces. So of course it remains fully possible that a front line soldier can keep his teeth in tip-top shape… provided he remembers to brush 3 times a day while his life is on the line in Burma (also that he is willing to sacrifice the water from his canteen)

Did they use neutral odour toothpaste?

I was referring to Errol Flynn and this Hollywood movie…:slight_smile: But it was very common for the US Soldier to carry a tooth brush.

When Objective, Burma! was distributed in England, the British public protested angrily, claiming that the Raoul Walsh-directed film completely ignored the efforts of the British in Burma, a theater of operations the Brits always claimed as their own. The slight resulted in a ferocious attack on the film by the British press, resulting in a total ban before a general release. The ban was also coupled with an effort to demonize the film’s star, after some newsprint illustrations of Errol Flynn holding a machine gun over the grave of a British officer were distributed throughout England. When the movie was finally shown in England in 1952, Warner Brothers placed a conciliatory prologue of newsreel footage of the British in combat at Burma, thus acknowledging American and Allied indebtedness to British bravery in Burma…

Fiction:
http://www.amazon.com/Objective-Burma-Errol-Flynn/dp/079074774X

Reality:
The Japanese offensive ‘U-GO’ begins. The aim is to destroy all British forces around Imphal and Kohima, and then to push on through the passes to Dimapur, cutting off the Chinese and Americans in the north, and with the road to India ahead. Three divisions of General Mutaguchi’s 15th Army are to be employed in the initial operations. The offensive begins with General Yamagid’s 33rd Division against the positions of General Cowan’s 17th Indian division around Tiddim. These attacks are meant to commit the British reserves so that when the main attack goes in, it’s task will be easier. The British are well aware that the Japanese plan to attack, but they underestimate the strength of the force to be used. The plan is for the 17th and 20th Indian Divisions, both in fairly advanced positions, to fall back around Imphal and protect and live off, the large base organisations there. The British forces at this stage are all from General Scoone’s IV Corps. It is an essential part of the Japanese plan to capture large quantities of British supplies because most of their advances are to be made over jungle tracks which are impassable to supply vehicles. Food is the crucial element of the problem. It is precisely because of these difficulties that the British expect a smaller attack!..

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/1944.htm