Quotes quiz

In another thread someone suggested an idea for a quote quiz. I loved that idea so I would be happy to start it off. I love quotes.

If you answer correctly you get to post the next quote.

“If I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.”

Curtis Lemay

Was I right on that one???

Sorry,
Yes you were right. He was referring to the firebombing campaign on Japan in 1945.

You stated your answer so matter of fact I figured you didn’t have a doubt wether you were right or wrong so I’ve just been waiting for the next quote.

Heres one. Some chicken, Some neck!

Was it Winston Churchill in his address to the Canadian Parliment?

Exactly chap!

got an easy one but

" there is no such thing as retreating its only advancing in the other direction"

Patton

Hope you don’t mind if I jump in.

How about this one.

“Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”

Christ I was beginning to think you died! Welcome back!

haha. thanks for the welcome General, nice to know you’re still around :slight_smile: .

The Desert Fox.

Here is another one. Who said this smart phrase and when?

[INDENT][INDENT]

If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany and that way let them kill as many as possible, although I don’t want to see Hitler victorious under any circumstances. Neither od them think anything of their pledged word.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

quote.gif

Well… It seems to me that previously mentioned sentence was outspoken by Mr. Harry S. Truman – a personality with a classicistic two-tone necktie on this photo.

And the very day is June 23rd 1941, a day after Germany attacked the Soviet Union.

Correct! Very good googling skills, Librarian! :wink:

Trumans words where printed in New York Times on 24-June-1941. so I guess he said it the day before.

Here is the scan of the article “Our Policy Nazi-Soviet War” (left).

The second scan (right) is the echo of the first one 10 years later (New York Times, 03-Feb-1951), article “West’s Treachery Assailed in Soviet”.

quote_1.jpg

quote_2.jpg

Hi,

Here is a new one. Who said this and when (this one is more tricky)?
Who abused word "appeasement " in this case? :wink:

[INDENT][INDENT]

In conclusion may I express my ardent wish that Your Excellency’s appeal for peace may contribute towards general appeasement which the people of the world so sorely need to return once more to the blessed path of progress and civilization.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Oh, no my dear Mr. Egorka – I am not using that magnificent data-crunch creation – as a professional librarian I do possess something even more sophisticated – OPAC. Believe me, aforesaid contraption is truly magnificent.:slight_smile:

And yes – aforementioned snippet was verbalized by a man with a black Bow Tie from the preceding photo. And the date is August 25, 1939.

As usualy - all the best!

Nanannannanaaa… Wrong! Hehehehee… if you have found the document contaning the quote, I suggest you read it carefully again. :wink: The date is right though.

Come on, you can do it!

N.B: Librarian, thanks for participating. Without you this Quiz would be a bit lonely place for my sarcastic quote collection.