RAF - Rules of Engagement

I’m about to finish reading an autobiography of Jan Zumbach, polish fighter pilot who flew in RAF since August 1940.
One thing drew my attention. After being promoted to wing commander (3rd Polish Fighter Wing and later 133rd Fighter Wing) he was still flying missions over enemy territory. But there was one difference - he couldn’t fight the Luftwaffe no more.
In his book he wrote that RAF command forbidden the high RAF officers to get involved in dogfights, in order to prevent them from exposing themselves to being shot down.

Anyone can confirm that?

Pozdrawiam,
Kovalski

Sounds like rubbish to me. In fact, IIRC Wing Commanders and above had the right to have their initials as their aircraft’s registration letters - ISTR for instance that Johnnie Johnstone had JE-J as his registration. I’m pretty sure Pierre Clostermann continued to fly while a Wing Commander as well.

Wing commanders usually flew when they wanted to in ww2. They could pick the missions they fancied, especially in Bomber Command. I have never heard of Wing Commanders being forbidden to fly although more senior officers wouldnt be expected to fly. Some Station Commanders did occasionally take to the air but their job wasn’t to fly.

it may have been one of those rules that are in the books but never payed attention too, such as no fraternizing with civilians, for example even if he was forbidden to shoot down enemy fighters, the RAF higher ups didn’t really have a way to prove that the enemy didn’t engage him first