Relatives in WW2

This is a thread to express (if you want to) your relatives in WW2. Maybe you can give us the name of their location, army, ranks, medals, and more.
Now for me it is
1.German Army
2.American Army
3.British Army
4.Ireland Army

So what about you!

German Army:

Hans Knospler. SS Infantry Man - Eastern Front

American Army:

Sgt. Gil Murdoc. Infantry - Western Front, D-Day, Normandy, Ardennes

Sgt. Joe Schwabe - Infantry - Western Front, D-Day, Normandy, Ardennes

I will try to get the information on my relatives in WW2.

One great uncle was at Alamein as a despatch rider with the 8th army. Another was in the Merchant Navy, having previously served on the Hood between the wars. Very few really - most of my family were either just too old or just too young, and so missed WW2 by a whisker.

I am moving this topic to WW2 general.

Panzerknacker, did you have any relatives in WW2?

My maternal grandparents were in the Dutch resistance during the war. My paternal grandparents just kept their head down till it passed over (except for sneaking out of Amsterdam to find food).

On my fathers side I had a great uncle that served in the Dutch East Indies and one that was in the Dutch Nazi party but don’t know much more.

My father was a U.S. Navy Seabee in the Pacific. He was with the 122nd NCB. He had the rank of Carpenters Mate 3rd Class. He served in New Guniea, Samar, P.I., and finished the war at Tientsein, China as part of the occupation force.

One uncle was a navigator in the Army Air Forces.
Another uncle was an enlisted man in the Army Air Forces.

Cool, interesting family.

I’m getting closer and closer.

Forgot to add these 2 pics. Dad and his battalion commander, and Dad on a bulldozer.

Dec10 011.jpg

Panzerknacker, did you have any relatives in WW2?

Yes , In the Italian Army, but honestly I don know much about their destination and or peformance.

1st grandfather - spent war in Philips factory as slave worker,
2nd grandfather - Home Army (Armia Krajowa) member, fighting against Germans and after 8th May 1945 fighting against Polish UB (security service) and Soviet NKVD,
1st grandmother - had been sent to Germany and worked as a slave worker in the farm,
2nd grandmother - secret schoolteacher, later took part in Warsaw Uprising (possibly - not confirmed).

I heard some relations about few (2-3?) relatives who served in Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza (Borderland Security Corp) at the eastern border. After Soviet aggression they vanished and their fate remains unknown.

One of my relatives said that he was persued by a Panzer II or III in the Ardennes. He was a bit crazy though, so I wouldn’t really believe it. He was also shot in the leg on the second landing on Omaha Beach, and somehow he got hold of an Iron Cross 2nd Class, P-08 Luger, and some armband in France.

Other Ardennes veteran was supposed to get in a jeep for dispatch but he was too late so they took off without him. He says the jeep hit a mine and everyone was killed.

Don’t know anything about the SS man besides being “Forcibly recruited under threats” and fighting on the Eastern Front. I know he recieved frostbite in his genetal area so he was brought back to Germany or Austria.

I had an Uncle who served against the Japanese in the Far East. He was taken prisoner and apparently never got over it. I don’t have any-more info as he committed suicide in the fifties.

Another Uncle, Tom, was in the 8th Army fighting all the way through the North Africa campaign before going onto Sicily & Italy.

My dad was too young and did National Service, 1948/50.

Off topic but my Great, Great Grandad was in the Royal Horse Artillery and served in Italy & on the Western Front during WW1. I was lucky enough to spend some time with him but he was always reluctant to talk about the war.

Sorry to hear about that.

My great grandpa was in WW2.
He was in the Military Police.
He was stationed in Iraq for the fuel that was needed for tanks and jeeps.
My grandmas brother was in the 101st Airborne.
He was stationed in the Vietnom war.
My grandmas relative was in the Battle of the Bulge.
I will try to get more information for the thread.

My 1st grandfather was drafted to 23-06-1941 to the army and sent to NKVD until October 1941. After that moved to postal office of the 1st reserve army until November 1942. Then moved to 2nd pantoon brigade to a similar postal position. In april 1945 moved to 2nd Guard Mechanized Regiment as post office manager. After the war remained in the army until 1952.

My grandmother was a nurse and served in the same division as my grandfather. Never wanted to tell me about the war. She said I do not need to know more than I already know. I can imaging she had seen so much suffering. She had been in Stalingrad, Rumania, Wien.

My second granfather was caught in occupation in Odessa until May 1944. After that he served in reserve forces. Had been in Romania and Hungary.

111_foto3.jpg

Both of my uncles were a few foxholes away from eachother in the Ardennes. They didn’t know it, but soon they’d be brother in-laws.

No. My parents did. The vets are either 6ft under or they’re in a nursing home somewhere.