Replicas - is there any real value?

Like most people here i have had a long time interest in anything and everything WWII era. I have a few ‘artifacts’ from the war (all genuine) and have been researching internet sites that sell similar things, like medals, daggers, uniforms etc. I have found that buyng ‘knock offs’ or ‘replicas’ seems to the be way this small market is heading. Ok i can see why one mite want a replica, they look nice, all shiny new looking and they are cheap. My question is this: is there any real value in buying replicas?? There is no history behind the piece, its probably made in China, but does this matter? I dunno, for some reason something tells me if its not genuine its not worth having. I personnally will try to stick to only genuine pieces in my collection.
Any thoughts?

As much as I agree with you, I disagree to an extent. Most of my collection is geunine, but for the real things that you just can’t buy, a replica is the way you have to go. Take Hermann Goerings Grand Cross for a second, 1 manufactured, now it’s at USMA West Point. Well how do I get a genuine one? You cant. So you would have to settle for a replica I suppose. However, I like to keep my stuff as real as possible.

West Point! Why would they want to display a Nazi medal?

I would have thought it would be better of in some military Museaum.

I suppose that West Point Academy is more guarded than a museum!
http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1092

Ok i see your point, if you are interested in ‘trophy’ pieces it may be impossible to get them, so replicas would be your only option. I’m happy with just general pieces, belt buckles, hats, helmets and daggers from soldiers on the battle front. I never considered actually obtaining personal belongings of famous or ‘infamous’ characters of WWII. Hmmmm now you gave me something to think about…

For me, not.
I think the real value is for a used instrument, any one that “live” the
moment. :arrow: