Req info on (Jagd)Panther tracks

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if panther or jagdpanther tracks were fitted in a specific direction, as I’ve seen pictures showing both directions.

The Jagdpanther at IWM, with the sprocket giude hole pointing > pointing to the front, as best as I can describe

Panther at Bovington with sprocket guide holes pointing to the rear

Or is this only a difference between late and early type tracks

However, I know these are kits but as you see they also show the tracks in opposite directions

I wouldn’t know. But I would guess that the tracks could be fitted multi-directional according to the terrain, i.e.: mud, snow, desert sand, dry grass steppe, etc.

The above two are most seen actually.

Personally the “narrowment” pointing upwards gives more grip as opposed to the “wide” part up.
You can see it also at the tracks of Tiger tanks etc.
I did see photos of the tracks reversed but those are more rare. So that leads me to think that the above facing is the common one.

Cobra 6

Thanks mate, I did suspect that with the wider part of the guide pointing forwards it would give more to bite so to speak…going forwards at any rate :slight_smile:

I looked all over for that Panther at Bovngton Last week :frowning:
The camo must have worked as didnt I spot it!

I did manage to get pics of most of the other Germans Pieces…, and fefw other bits and bobs, include the first “Lend Lease” sherman with an interesting array of machine gun removed from later varients!

http://kampfgruppe144.com/Bovington_00.htm

I am hoping once the museum has finished its new exhibition halls and displays the panther and many of the other interesting items in their storage sheds come back out on display!?

Some nice pictures there mate, especially the jagdpanther…with the tracks the right way :rolleyes: Meaning to go there myself, but it’s just cost £80 in diesel to visit the in-laws down in Brighton, another trip down south is going to have to wait

Thanks

its taken a while before i could negotiate a trip down there.

i would like to go again once all the new exhibition halls are open, hopefully
a) more tanks will be on display and for them to be less cramped together?
b) it will be easier to take more photos
c) they dont go all “new labour” and still keep the empahsis on the armour!