Respecting the Fallen Soldiers

So, I was going home around 4:30 yesterday and traffic is snarled going northbound, so I go a few streets over and again the traffic is snarled. I am cursing myself and the traffic and wondering why it’s so slow. It wasn’t snowing that bad. After a 20 minute delay going at a snail’s pace I finally saw dozens of cars parked on the right side of the bridge over the Highway#401 and I see flags and banners and police and ambulance and firefighters. What could this be?. Could so may cars have gotten into a traffic accident?
THEN, It hit me when I saw what was happening. Not only on this bridge but over almost all bridges over the highway#401 in Toronto, people have gathered in droves to salute the dead soldiers coming back from Afghanistan as they pass through on the Highway of Heroes. I almost had a tear come to my eye when I saw so many people paying their respect in the cold over the bridge. I had herd of the tradition but never actually saw it before except on the news. There were so many people and all saluting , side by side with police, firemen and together as one. I don’t know what tradition other countries have to show respect to our fine brave soldiers, but I felt sad thinking of the hearses driving through the highway and the compassion that Torontonians showed This not only happens in Toronto, but apparently on all the numerous bridges and alongside the highway from Trenton through Toronto. Below is an article from the Toronto Star Newspaper. Although many of us despise the war, we must have respect and salute those that made the sacrifice for our country.
If your country or home town has similar traditions to honour the killed in action, lets hear about them or lets all show unity to our brothers and sisters through feedback.
Tens of thousands are expected to line Canada’s Highway of Heroes today to pay tribute to the three soldiers killed in Afghanistan, marking both their sacrifice and the grim milestone of 100 Canadian soldiers killed on active duty there.
The bodies of Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, Pte. Demetrios Diplaros and Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren – victims Friday of an explosive device near Kandahar – will make the now-familiar journey from CFB Trenton to a coroner’s morgue in downtown Toronto.
Expected at the repatriation ceremony at Trenton are Governor General Michaëlle Jean, Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Chief of Defence Staff Gen. W.J. Natynczk.
The military plane carrying the bodies is to land at Trenton at 2 p.m. The motorcade is expected to leave the base at around 3 p.m. and depending on traffic variables, reach Oshawa at 4:15 p.m., Scarborough at about 4:45 p.m. and the coroner’s building in Toronto at about 5:15 p.m.
A Toronto traffic officer cautioned that the motorcades from Trenton usually travel 30 minutes to an hour behind schedule.
The public tributes for Canada’s fallen along the 172-kilometre route have caused commentators in other countries, including Britain, to take note and wonder why its own military victims aren’t similarly honoured.
“The public response to the casualties, I think, has been quite extraordinary,” said Canadian military historian Jack Granatstein.
“I have never seen anything in my life like the crowds that line Highway 401,” he said. “Extraordinary displays of public sentiment, in all kinds of weather ranging from heat to cold to rain.”
As is the custom, a guard of honour in Trenton will greet the aircraft and carry the three bodies to the tarmac.
Picture below is from the summer but the turn out is as strong today…
"

Wow dude touching

Thanks for the info Herman. I didnt realise just so many Canadians had died in Afghanistan.

Cheers and a very nice tribute BTW.

Bows My Head a Respectful moment, to Commonwealth Fallen.
Welcome home, the fallen.

“They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old,
age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,
but at the going down of the sun,
we will remember them,
we Will, Remember Them.”
– Binyon’s Lines, Said every April 25th : ANZAC Day, in Australia and New Zealand.

Respectful Regards, Uyraell.