Revenue sharing?

Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think about the idea of google banners on the forum, but as a revenue sharing model. It would stimulate new members, but I don’t know if people would be interested or even have an account. Probably not.

I got this info from webmaster-talk.com

[i]Ad Revenue is shared between the Owner, Moderators, the new Thread Starter and the last replier in a particular thread.

As a new thread starter, there is a 30% chance your Adense Code will be displayed for each page view. The last replier in a particular thread will have a 10% chance that their Adense Code will be displayed for each page view and the owner having 25% and the moderators having the final 35% chance.

This should encourage both new thread posting in addition to participation in other member’s threads.

Please note that these Adsense Ad Revenue Share banners only show to unregistered members and members of our forum with less than 25 posts.[/i]

While I like the idea of “Ad Revenue is shared between… , Moderators…”, I’m not sure we have a problem with insufficient new thread posting. The likes of Colonel Hogan would probably spam us to death if he thought there was money in it.

Still, if there is a way people have worked out to avoid thread spamming, it might well be worth a shot. The only other issue is whether throwing in ads would upset the ambience of the website - that’s a commercial decision and hence your call. I suspect it’s probably not a problem.

Yes, spamming is definately something we do not want. We can reserve the right to remove people from the ad revenue program if we feel they are just starting a thread or posting to generate revenue. Also just like on webmaster-talk.com we can set it that:
…that these Adsense Ad Revenue Share banners only show to unregistered members and members of our forum with less than 25 posts.

I was more thinking about drive-by users with the ads - if they’re a bit overwhelming they won’t stick around to get to 25 posts and so the forum will slowly die off. This is only going to be a problem if they’re a bit overwhelming though - discreet ones shouldn’t be a problem.

I really wonder how many people actually have google adsense accounts.