Rhineland Campaign Casualties

Does anyone know where there are a list of casualties for each Allied Campaign? Thanks

nope but ask others here

I don’t know either but I do know that you got mail because of continuous stupidity in your comments.

Excuse me flamethrowerguy?

neiceofww2vet

flamethrowerguy was addressing peopleselbow, who insists on posting pointless comments in various threads and who has received a formal warning about it from flamethrowerguy as a moderator, hence the reference to the mail sent to peopleselbow.

Sorry if you thought flamethrowerguy was referring to you. He’s a nasty moderator. :wink: :smiley: I’m the only nice moderator on the board. :wink: :smiley:

Your thread has had a large number of views, so with luck somebody should be able to help you out, either with the information you’re looking for or some hints on how to find it.

Uhm, yes, thank you RS* for clearing this up, you said it all. The “quote” function is one’s friend.

After thinking about it, I think there might not be, at least as far as a list for every campaign goes.

Partly because ‘campaign’ can be a flexible term. Partly because it’s more likely that in most cases casualties are recorded by nationality rather than a gross figure as allies, as each nation wrote its own history rather than there being an overall Allied history. And partly because the different services involved may not agree about what constitutes a ‘campaign’; about their involvement in it; and may record their casualties independently of each other.

Are you interested in a particular campaign? That would be easier to find figures for.

thanks for the clarification. I have been able to find figures by years and have been able to do rough estimates but would like something more specific. I suppose I would have to read through tons of after action reports though…

From Army Battle Casualties and Nonbattle Deaths in World War II, Final Report, 1953, Office of the Adjutant General, page 93

Total US Army casualties for the Rhineland Campaign (15 Sep 44 - 21 Mar 45) were 240,082. Of these 204,046 were in combat divisions, 11,635 were USAAF, and 24,401 were in other Army units.

There were a total of 50,410 deaths, 40,293 in combat divisions, 4,761 USAAF, and 5,356 in other Army units,

Of the deaths, there were 43,258 killed in action, 34,370 in combat divisions, 4,521 USAAF, and 4,307 in other Army units.

Other deaths: 6,485 who were wounded and later died of their wounds, 168 who were captured and later died, and 499 listed as MIA (Died). Of those who later died of wounds, 5,397 were from combat divisions, 90 USAAF, and 998 from other Army units. Of the captured who later died, 135 were from combat divisions, 14 USAAF, and 19 from other Army units. In the MIA (Died) total, 391 were from combat divisions, 76 were USAAF, and 32 from other Army units.

Total wounded and injured (not including those who died) were 172,450; 151,850 from combat divisions, 1,876 USAAF, and 18,724 from other Army units.

Total captured and interned (not including those who died) were 19,060; 13,084 from combat divisions, 4,775 USAAF, and 1,201 from other Army units.

Total missing (not including those who died) were 5,314; 4,742 from combat divisions, 403 USAAF, and 169 from other Army units.

The Hyperwar site has this document, albeit with numerous typos (including one in the Rhineland Campaign totals) at http://ftp.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/Casualties/index.html look under “Campaign and Type of Organization” page 93.

I doublechecked against the actual document for the correct numbers. You can download that in four pieces at the CARLs site The particular document is at http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/p4013coll8&CISOPTR=130&REC=1

If that does not link correctly, go to the CARLs main page http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/contentdm/home.htm and select the advance search option (mid-top-right), select WWII operational documents only and search for the exact words: > Casualties World War II Final Report < and it you’ll be pointed to the link. The particular section of the report you want to see is part 3, pages 71-95 which you can select for download after following the link.

Large wholesale numbers, I know, but hope it helps your search.

Rich