RKKA Shermans in Manchuria?

Hello all–! I’m helping to research a project involving the M4A2 HVSS Shermans used by (among others) the 9th Guards Mechanized Corps, of the 46th Tank Brigade in Operation “August Storm” against Japan in 1945. I’ve found an example of one of these tanks at the Snegiri Park Memorial but its a “restored” museum piece and is painted in standard olive green with no other markings. Although I have read that “insignias” on RKKA tanks --especially Lend-Lease ones–are rare, I expect there would at least be “Turret Numbers” on the Manchuria Shermans. Does any one have any idea what these might have been? Thank you for any and all help…!!

Look for this :slight_smile:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/soviet-union/Hingan.html

:slight_smile: Thank you! Every bit of information helps!! :slight_smile:

This is report about the quantity of the tanks at the end of the war on Far East

M4-A2 mean “Sherman”, total quantity - 250 pcs, in good order - 250 pcs;
Also you may see M3-C, do you know what is this? This is “General Grant”, 1 pcs :slight_smile:
(M3-C mean M3-Средний [Medium]), need medium repair.

Thank you again…! An additional 300 of those M4A2’s originally destined to be shipped to the Far East were eventually sold to Canada for $15,000 each (one third of the original cost!). Repainted and “restored” survivors from that batch of tanks can be found in front of Legion Posts, Army Bases and Military Museums throughout this country. There are two of those M4A2’s on display in the City where I now live, and one other such Sherman was actually “running” during celebrations marking the 50th Anniversary of D-Day :smiley: .