Rocket Vs Cannon

I know rockets are suppose to have longer range than cannon, but how about the ones that are on the sherman tanks T-34, i don think their range is very long? if those rockets are not use for longer range, what are their purpose on the war while cannon can actually do the same job, thanks again

sherman are M-4s.T-34s are russian tanks.

Thanks for the remind

TexWiller you are Americans?

no,i’m Turkish.

Serius?

about russian tanks: there were projects of installing rockets on tanks( not t-34, something about t-28) - their range - about several km. But it was not very effective, and after the development of BM-13( first used in july 1941) - useless.

A rocket can carry a higher explosive charge than a cannon?
Im guessing,
Some of the serving members might be able to tell you.

actually, there were rockets installed on shermans, called the sherman calliope.

The M4 equipped with the rocket launcher WAS designated T34
A lot more range than the main gun but a LOT less accurate.

More oddballs based on the M4 chassis here:

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/usa/med/m4/m4spec.htm

Rockets (of the WW2 variety anyway) can carry a much larger warhead than any practical gun for the same size of launcher vehicle (mainly because they don’t have to worry about recoil). Since they were generally used as artillery there isn’t much point in comparing them to tank guns - the two had totally different tasks, the major difference being whether they were used for direct or indirect fire.
Hence, where rockets were fitted to Sherman tanks, it would have been to convert the tank from an infantry support/anti-tank vehicle to an artillery vehicle. As they are based on the same chassis, the artillery should then be able to keep up with the tanks in a mobile campaign (something towed artillery often has real trouble with, even today apparently).

Well, having finally filtered out all the Guff that Google produces, I found the following stuff on the T34 Calliope:

Life of Tubes: Begin breaking up after 4 salvos, average life 15 to 20 salvos
Firing Method: Electrical, single-shot or ripple fire
Maximum Firing Rate: 60 rounds in 30 seconds (ripple fire)
Muzzle Velocity: 850 feet per second
Maximum Range: 4,600 Yards
Effective Range: 3,900 Yards
Rocket Type: 4.5 Inch Aircraft Rocket with folded fins
Rocket Dimensions: 40 lbs, 33 inches long, fin-stabilized
Weight of projectile in flight: 15.25 Lbs
Rocket Flame: 30 to 40 feet
Explosive Charge: 4.3 lbs of TNT explosive
Conventional Blast Equivalent: 105mm shell

It looks like the only advantage was the ability to hit a target with 60 rounds in one go.

Edited for link: http://www.752ndtank.com/RocketTanks.html