Royal Observer Corps Bunkers

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a few articles on urban exploration websites regarding the network of small bunkers established accross the UK by the Royal Observer Corps during the Cold War.

Derelict since 1991, these posts consisted of a small room and a toilet/generator closet, some 14 feet down accessed via a shaft.
There were beds inside the posts, and I think each post held 2-3 personnel. I think most were part timers, like the TA.

I wondered if anyone could tell me how long people spent in these bunkers? I thought I had read somewhere it was 2 weeks, but now I can’t remember where!:oops:
Looking back, this seems quite a while to be stuck underground with two other people in a tiny room, so I’m not sure.

If anyone can fill me in, or point me to a good website I would be really grateful.

Cheers,

I you sure it’s the royal observer corps you’re thinking of? That sounds like the kind of role that would have been fulfilled by the HDF.

Hi,

Yes, definately the ROC, please see the below link for more info on the posts themselves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Observer_Corps_Monitoring_Post

Cheers