Russian Artillery, specs and performance, tactics, OoB

My hopes for theis thread that some more sources on the story may become available.

in my time as an Int. sgt with a bn and lateras an analyst at higher HQ’s
it was arule of thumb that sov. type artilery would outrange us and the towed field pieces to weigh less, and for the weight of shell, on top of that.

I am particularly taken with the long-barrelled field guns, from 76mm right up to the B3S/D10. Mind that I am across their ammo - in real effective use IN WWII - and their range. Russia must be pretty damned flat!!!

I would be particularly interested in knowing something of their actual accuracy, and particularly.

a 10S/T in an SU 100 if that might be degraded, not just with AP rounds but also with HE.

I note that with this gun family B3S/10S the rounds have ‘similar’ weights, and also similar propellant weights, suggesting that the MV may well have been similar allowing one range table to serve for both projectiles.

Or have I misread something?

Timbo

Do you mean the soviet D-10S which was established on the SU-100.
It was developet on basis of sea AA-gun D-10.This was one the best soviet anti-tank gun on the ballistic and penetration ability characteristics.
I could not find exact figures that you has asced but.some info is here
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/СУ-100

Armor-piercing shell of D-10S gun was capable to open the vertical sheet of the armor with a thickness of 125 mm at a distance of 2000 m. inclined frontal 85- mm armor plate of German tank “panther” SU-100 broke through from distance of 1500 m. of firepower SU-100 was sufficient against any German tank, for which it obtained from the soldiers the unprintable , but accurately reflecting abilities nickname “Pisdec vsem” (F…ck them all)

And somthing more
source - Bronecollection 1/2000

For the shooting from D -10S adapted the following shots:
fixed round UBR-412 with the armor-piercing tracer sharp-nosed shell BR-412 with the fuse MD-8;
the fixed round OF UBR-Y412B with the armor-piercing tracer flat-headed shell BR-412 with the fuse MD-8 (Remaining HE fragmentation and therefore us do not interest).
Table: Characteristics of 100-mm of the projectiles Brand BR-412/ BR-412B
Mass of projectile, kg --15,8/ 15,8
The initial velocity m/s— 897/ 897
Armor-piercing ability along the normal, mm on distance, m
500 155 /162
1000 135 /149
1500 116/ 132
2000 99 /124

The D-10S was enough sucsesfull that after the WW2 it was established on the another soviet tanks T-54 and T-55.( With a little modernisation).

Cheers.

The ZIS-3 double use gun. (antitank and field artillery.)

Some Russian Artillery Guns

Russian Artillery Guns continued

I need empty brass for the RUssion 45MM 1937 anti tank gun please email if you know of any. Thanks dhart@in-scents.com

A pair of questions: Is there any indication of the situation the photograph of the 152mm caliber cannon was taken? A training exercise? A combat mission?

Could someone please translate the caption of the photo of the 152mm cannon?

thanks