Russian battlefield

This is a question for Russian friends.

I saw a documentary, 1980s or 90s, of a battlefield in Russia with a huge monument in the middle. If I remember correctly it was a no go zone for people and the interviewer and the keeper of the battlefield, or at least a self proclaimed one, walked it and showed how everything had been left as was after the battle. Helmets, ordinance, broken equipment and even remains that were left unburied, or at least undiscovered ones. It was from a huge battle, not that that narrows it down, 40 miles or something, I forget. I don’t remember if it was where the Germans were stopped on approach to Moscow or the battle of Kursk or where? I’ve tried to find it without luck.

Thanks, much appreciated for the name and location of this place and any other details.

How did the monument look like?

It was quite large and I think it was a woman. I can’t be sure cause it was a long time ago. I don’t imagine it being a woman would narrow it down very much would it?

I wonder if in the last 15 or 20 years it could have been cleaned up or shallowly covered over with ground and a memorial park made?

A lot of the original Crimea battle sites have been left as they were, and some even have the remains of British and French soldiers killed and left after the Crimean war in the late 1800’s

Here is a good site…this guy digs on russian battlefields. http://warrelics.eu/forum/battlefield-archeology/russian-forests-6802/

Probably a statue of Mother Russia. I seem to remember a large statue of Mother Russia in Kiev.