Russian Elections

Very interesting plot of turnout in a district against vote for a particular party can be found here. Looks like either Putin can generate some kind of mass hysteria which increases turnout among his supporters when there are a lot of them in a constituency, or the elections were incompetently rigged in at least some areas.

Egorka et al - comments?

I’ve heard most election monitors thought it was rigged. I heard Putin’s nationalist party received like 99% of the vote in Chechnya…

i did not vote for Putin.
I don’t like his inner social policy.
But i have to distress you all guys:)
The Putin is really the Single candidate now who has the mass support of peoples.
Noting can do with it:)
If people want to believe in “strong leader” ( although i rather guess the Putin is just the “puppet” of new Russian oligarhy) - let’s tem to belive in it:)
Especially if we have NO other oppositions candidat. ( i do not mean the degenerates like Nemtsov or Casparov that Western mass media try to portray as the opposite Leaders - that’s rather fun).
Communists HAVE no leader whom people could trust also.
So this is sad fact , but except the Putin - we have no other real choise today.
The russian ( well almost russian :)) capitalist oligarhy saccesfully have won the Elections.

So?

Why not fasten on Pakistan and Musharraf, who recently declared a state of emergency and sacked his Supreme Court to stay in power, in a country where much of the military and intelligence service is sympathetic to Osama et al? Yet propped up by the US after Musharraf did a backflip after 9/11 when he realised he was on the US shit list for supporting Osama etc up to that point.

Or Dubya’s first questionable election victory based on voting in Florida, where his brother Jeb was Governor and ran either an incompetent or corrupt voting system?

Putin might be a crook who’d do anything to get into or stay in power. This makes him no different any other politician.

At least he hasn’t invaded Iraq on a glaringly dishonest pretence and isn’t threatening to do the same to Iran.

It’s not an original line, but the problem with elections is that a politician always gets in.

Substitute Bush for Putin and American capitalists for Russian capitalists, and it’s the same on the other side.

Except Putin is smarter and, if it comes to a physical contest, my money is on Putin smacking dopey George senseless in about five hits.

Well this is just the pure psychology.
People did not see the Strong leader ( as portey the mass media) for the last decades, thay such tireds of drunk-degenegate Yeltsyn that they wnat to believe him
The want to believe he will make the life better and safer.
I know this look naive and may be wrong- but they want it;)

Yetlsin was alright.

It was only his timing that was wrong, as these pictures show. :wink:

Still, he wouldn’t be the first Russian leader to get fired for being out of step. :smiley:

Oh, I’m not arguing that he’s unpopular. Rather I saw that graph and to me it demonstrates conclusively (top right of the graph) that at least some parts of the election were rigged by somebody to ensure that Putin got a strong vote in his favour. Putin et al have been claiming the opposite, rather unconvincingly.

No doubts that the election results in Chechnya ( with 99.2% of votes for Putin’s party) as well as in other republics of the RF in the North Caucases were traditionally falsified without any shame.

Can you imagine that, for instance, 99.2% of Iraqis voted for Bush and his party?

However, in the Russian regions of the RF Putin’s party are likely to have won the majority of votes.

And what wrong with it?
The any elections in Ukraine were falsified for the last 15 year - its all right Kato?Have you any shame?

Can you imagine that, for instance, 99.2% of Iraqis voted for Bush and his party?

And can you imagine that the Iraq are joining to the USA as the 51 state and vote for the in American Election like the Any other americans?And Iraqies are equal as the american sitizents?
I think they 100% will wote for Bush if he promise them this happiness;)

Of course if there are no Moscow army units and all the world recognises the elections in Ukraine as fair some Russians will say that they are falsified.

And can you imagine that the Iraq are joining to the USA as the 51 state and vote for the in American Election like the Any other americans?And Iraqies are equal as the american sitizents?
I think they 100% will wote for Bush if he promise them this happiness;)

You should not judge by your measures of primitive homo-sovieticus who is ready to sell everything for American Coca-cola and chewing-gum. Arabs have national dignity and that move would just aggrevate the situation in Iraq for Americans.

In general your clownish posts will not change the evident fact that Putin could not get 99.2% of votes in a separatist region with still smouldering conflict where bandits and sadists from Russian troops continue to kidnap, torture and execute civilians.

In general your clownish posts will not change the evident fact that Putin could not get 99.2% of votes in a separatist region with still smouldering conflict where Russians continue to kidnap, torture and execute civilians.

I take exception to this in bold. You either have to find somewhere else to post your Trolls or behave a bit more civily towards fellow board members. Consider this as a wee bit of informal advice from me.

Thanks.

To be fair, chevan had just gratuitously insulted kato and had defended blatant Russian vote rigging on the basis of unsubstantiated Russian claims of electoral fraud in the Ukraine.

I think the hope was that Russia would come closer to a Western Democracy rather than reverting to the historic strongman. That being said, it could be a lot worse. I don’t particularly like Putin but at least he’s stable and at least seems to have an idea of how to run that country. Of course, he’s aided by the fact that world oil prices are on the rise making him “flush with oil wealth,” which sort of keeps everybody happy and exaggerates his ability as a leader.

As far as Generalissimo (the lawyers really seem to hate him :smiley: ) I agree that Musharraf is a dodgy strongman, and yes the Bush admin looks like a bunch of hypocrites for adopting the Neo Con mantra of “bringing democracy” to nations by invading them. But to be fair, it’s clear that Musharraf is not, nor has he ever, been in complete control of his own gov’t, much less all of Pakistan. The support for the Taliban comes from renegade elements in the ISI intelligence service, many of whom are fundamentalists…

And yes, there were substantial problems with the Florida during the 2000 election Of course, seeing how the whole thing was run by what has turned out to be a mentally ill witch in Katherine Harris; that is not at all surprising. She was recently laughed out of a Florida congressional race for making statements so absurd that even Republicans, grateful for her services to the party, had to dump her as she was fast becoming an embarrassment. And the guy who WON the popular vote still LOST the election according to the US Supreme Court! The Electoral College is the greatest single blackmark on the American democratic process, and perhaps coupled with the fact that we can’t remove our idiotic, unpopular leaders before their terms end by calling new elections early…

Thank you Farefly.
I think this is rather sensless to advise the ukro-fascist to be a bit civily;)
However his race-biased convictions could be danger without limitation.

But Bush has Cheney riding shotgun. :smiley:

That’s whole matter Nick.
The Putin really is presented as the man who know “how to run that country”:wink:
And he run enough well, although made a great social mistakes, presented it as as a “reforms”

Chev, consider this your informal warning…

Is this man who shoted his lawyer in a hunting last year?

OK. That’s enough about it