Russian Soldiers Surrendering? Look at this pic

Hey, thought this was an interesting pic…check out what the German soldier is holding:)

Is that a Russian soldier with his hands up?

stickup.jpg

I’ve seen a photo like this before…with a German squad capturing a few Russians…and the one German is using an MG34 as a close quarters weapon…

Nice photo though!

It seems french to me.

In not unusual the use of a MG 34 to “clean” trenches, a more useful resource than a bolt action rifle.

Ha! I’d have to agree. It looks French also…but it looks like a steppe in the background…

Maybe this was taken by the German-French border near Belgium?

i’m sure this man is not russian. I 've never saw such forage cap on the head of soviet soldiers.

Well, they did have Politka sidecaps, right?

They weared Pilotkas, but it had another form :wink:

I guess you are right. Now that I see it, this prisoner (Hopefully :D) is most likely a Frenchman…

I have more that i’l post later. I got these pictures from a collection of captured Waffen SS photos at the National Archive in Washington DC.

Cool! How do you get the photos from the National Archives anyhow?

Very interesting pic ww2admin. I was trying to find a photo of Russians surrendering, but I could not find any.

It does look like the steppe’s in the background, but the man doesn’t look Russian, sorry.

I astually do not think he wears any thing on his head. It is just combination of hear and the wood (?) on the background.

Nah, he’s definately wearing some sort of sidecap with insignia. I don’t believe Soviets were issued mantels (Greatcoats) similiar to his. So I really do think this is a Frenchman. Anyone educated in French WW2 uniforms?