Sas

Sorry, if this theme already exists. People know many about this organization, someone could lay out the photographs of their outfit and rewards. Or say site.

Are we speaking here of the Scandinavian Air Service, or the Hereford Rifle Club?

Special Air Servise

Sorry, old man. I was just being silly.

Did you want to know something in particular, or were you just wanting to discuss?

Personally, wouldn’t mind hearing more of these chaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spetsnaz

http://www.spetsnaztraining.com/view/spetsnaz

I did ask one of THEM what colour the boathouse at Hereford was once…

DPM :smiley: …Foxtrot Oscar!!!

Nah, it’s silver but used to be green. Or was it the other way around…?

Oh, such wit, and soooooo original!

No, seriously, that was the answer - it was once one colour and is now the other. I just can’t for the life of me remember which way around it was!

Apparently it was a running joke in his unit for quite a while, and one of them phoned up directory enquiries to find out. But there definitely is one.

And there was I thinking you were being a merkin. :slight_smile:

I used to know other yarns, but it’s all in the distant past. Sadly, my memory isn’t what it was, as one might discovered by the confusion in my posts.

google it my friend , google has all the answers :slight_smile:

ok here we go …

The British SAS (Special Air Service) is one of the world’s premier special forces teams. The history of the SAS dates back to WWII, when Captain David Stirling developed the concept while recuperating from a parachute accident. David Stirling attempted to propose his idea to the CO. The guards at the gate wouldn’t let him into the building, so Stirling jumped the fence and proceeded to walk into the office.The SAS was initially created as a desert raiding force to weaken Rommel’s North African logistics network as well as hinder aircraft operations. Their first successful raid happened in December of 1941, when two groups destroyed 61 aircraft at two airfields.When the force ran out of explosives, SAS soldiers began to use their personal weapons to shoot out the controls. One man, Paddy Mayne, proceeded to rip out the controls with his hands.Another raid was launched soon after; this time twenty seven airplanes were destroyed.

The SAS operated in Europe as well; in one operation (codenamed Houndsmith),144 men were parachuted with jeeps and supplies into an area close to Dijon, France. All told, the SAS inflicted 7,733 German casualties in Europe. 4,784 prisoners were captured and 700 vehicles were destroyed or captured. 164 railways were cut, seven trains were destroyed and thirty-three were derailed. The SAS was also used to “mop up” German war criminals. They hunted down head SS and Gestapo agents and brought them before the War Crimes Tribune.

David Stirling was knighted in 1990. He died a few months later at the age of 74. He was awarded the OBE and DSO for actions during WWII. He was nicknamed the “Phantom Major” by his peers. During World War II ,Sir David Stirling was captured by the Germans. Although Hitler had ordered all “special forces” (OSS and SAS) to be executed, David Stirling escaped executions by not saying anything about himself. He was held in various prisons. He proceeded to escape four times, each time being caught. He never gave up though. He was finally moved to Colditz for the rest of the war. His brother, William Stirling, took over his command while David was held prisoner.

the famous SAS Jeep .

Did they only have the one then ?

Yes.

But they also had another one, the infamous jeep.

Lonely nights in the cold desert being what they were, the famous and infamous jeeps got together.

In practically no time, the desert was full of jeepnies.

Being SAS vehicles they were rarely seen, but here is a classified DOD illustration for the Jeepny, SAS, Mk VI from 1943 tender documents in Vickers’ files.

Note the unusually well concealed weaponry behind the innocent vehicle accoutrements.

jeepney2.jpg

well they didnt just have one jeep , that had several but they were all the same make and carried all the same equipment , armourment , and ammo , they made there debut on the famous raids at the tobruk airstrips in 1942

Is that the one they loaned from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?

Check out the cannonball express:
http://www.freaknet.org.uk/pages01/p02/gl02.html

The cannonball express looks like the famous ambulance in Ice Cold in Alex, and in about the same mechanical condition. John Mills looks a bit different, though.

Nothing to do with SAS. :smiley:

You are absolutely correct - it’s L.R.D.G. :smiley:

Well spotted, old chap!

Missed by the rest of us.

A sterling job.

Or should that be Stirling? :smiley: