Scanning Photos

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster… Sorry if this is in the wrong place but i couldn’t decide where else it would belong.

For some time i have been collecting old war books on internet auctions and have decided i should share some of the photo’s with you all but…

1 I have tried scanning them but i am having problems getting a good scan because of the spine of the book if you know what i mean.

2 When i do get one the pic quality is normally not brilliant. Any hints on how to improve these?

3 What info should include with the pic? just the caption in the book or as much as i can from the book?

Im realy looking forward to sorting this, some of the books i have include books on Heinz Guderian, Adolf Garland and one about an New Zealander flying with Bomber Command all of which have good B&W photos and some very interesting stories in them

One i am reading now is a selection of RAF stories across the war. I have a good photo of RAF officers recovering a JU87 that had been abandoned in the desert and their run around recovering parts from other crashed aircraft to get this one semi complete plane flyable.

Cy

Here is the proper way to open a new book and prevent it breaking its spine, which might help you flatten your books to get a better scan.

Hold the book vertical, i.e with its spine on a table, and drop the front cover and then the back cover. Then open a few pages at the front and run you fingers firmly (but not so firmly that you’re breaking the binding) along the gutter (the part where the pages join). Do the same from the back. Then alternate a few pages more from the front and from the back until you reach the centre of the book. Do the whole process a few more times.