Schindler's list

What did you think of this movie?
I think its very touching and sad actually

Welcome aboard mate.

SL is one of my favorites.
The black and white filming is great too.

Good movie not the best one but good,its scary when fuc***g nazi officer killing,poor prisoners in camp ,whith sniper from him house.

Good movie not the best one but good,its scary when fuc***g nazi officer killing,poor prisoners in camp ,whith sniper from him house.

Unfortunately, that’s how things must have been! I personally believe that SL within the best 20 films ever. It’s brimming with subtly depicted scenes, like for example when a Nazi official tries to shoot a Jew and his gun gets stuck. He presses the trigger several times and when he finally understand he isn’t going to work he looks at the gun with bewilderment. He just hits the prisoner with the grip of the gun and walks away.

Obviously, one of the best is the final one when Schindler finds out he still retains some valuable belongings and wonders… So moving! Master John William’s soundtrack is so perfect and descriptive that whenever I hear it makes my hair stand on end.

If you want to see what war really was like in eastern europe, watch Polish movie called “Kanal” (Canal). It’s 10 times better than SL and conveys horrors of the Warsaw uprising without a Hollywood twist. Of course, the westerners are almost completely ignorant of the Warsaw (not the Warsaw Ghetto) Uprising even happening.

Hi mate. I know its a bit off topic but I’m sure a lot of people know all about the Warsaw uprising of 1944.

I seconded Firefly. As an Eastern European (like yourself Piotr), I checked and I am convinced now that the Westerners actually did know a lot of things about what happened in the East.

conveys horrors of the Warsaw uprising

There’s also a film worth-watching called Uprising which narrates those days when the people in the Warsaw guetto decided to stand up against the Nazi regime and fight back.

Of course, the westerners are almost completely ignorant of the Warsaw (not the Warsaw Ghetto) Uprising even happening.

If by “the westerners” you mean European western countries I can assure you you are widely mistaken, mate.

True, the general population(Particularly my generation, the younger one :P) of Britiain wouldn’t even know where Warsaw is. But how can you expect them to know that when they think Hitler’s first name is heil?

“There’s also a film worth-watching called Uprising which narrates those days when the people in the Warsaw guetto decided to stand up against the Nazi regime and fight back.”

I know the movie. Now, can you name a movie made in the west narrating the days when the ENTIRE CITY of Warsaw (around 200,000 people) stood up to take the CITY from the Nazis? When Polish bomber squadrons were flying resuply drop missions from African bases across Europe to help their countryman? When Germans were burning alive 12-year-old boy scouts caught fiting in the uprising? I may be wrong, but I daresay that you will not find such a movie made in the west.

Also, I want to apologize to the Western Europeans. I have lived for 25 years in the US and began to identify “Westerners” with “Americans.” And even in the US there are a lot of people who know better. Just that watching yet another movie falsely accusing Polish people of corraborating with the Nazis, apparently en masse, or another TV movie implicating that Polish ARMY was helping Germans send Jews to Aushwitz gets me very frustrated. The more so that a lot of people I know assume that Hollywood accurately depicts history.
I guess I got to cool off a little. :oops:

It seems that you are still living in the US (judging by your posting hours as well as by the fact that you said in other post that you recently saw a documentary on History Channnel). Maybe it will be a good ideea to relinquish contacts with your own country (which is now a EU member, btw :wink: ) to check Polish opinions on that issue!

And more, instead of complaining about how bad are depicted Polish and Poland in the Hollywood movies, try to enlight the Americans on what means Poland in WW2.

Examples:
This Polish guy at University at Buffalo (State University of New York)
This guy in Canada
etc etc

This forum, for instance, might be a great opportunity to reveal some unknown Polish contributions back in the WW2. Use this chance like your Polish countrymen did.

Dziekuje! :wink:

Hope that you wouldn’t be bothered by my post.

Brilliant idea, Dani. I have thought about that many times. We should take advantage of having so many nationalities in the Forum, something which I consider very enriching. Therefore, why not benefitting from our differences rather than allowing them to set us apart?

Well, I absolutely love this forum and I’ll do my best. Also, I have been trying to educate people in the US (yes, I still live here, and I actually like it very much), but I’m running into a brick wall.
When I went to highschool (in the US), a description of war in Poland took about 1/4 page in our history books, the war in Europe rated 1 1/2 pages, and the entire WWII was about 1/2 of a chapter. So, no wonder that when I try to tell my American friends that over 6 million people were killed in Poland during war ( and close to a million in 2 years thereafter, by Soviets) I get the standard answer " No way!, That’s impossible" or even worse, a polite " oh, really?" with an incredulous smile.

A funny thing happened about 1989, though. I was with a group of friends in a hotel lobbyin Scranton, Pennsylvania, when an older gentleman with his wife walked up to us and asked me " Excuse me, are you Polish?" I said yes. He then proceeded to tell us that he was an RAF pilot in WWII and flew alongside a Polish Squadron for a while. Then, he said the nicest thing I’ve heard in years :" Those Poles! The bravest men I have met in my life. Excellent pilots, completely oblivious to danger, and did they hate the Hun! I was definitely happy they were on OUR side!" Of course, I thanked him profusely and we spoke about the war. Needles to say my friends just stared and did not have much to say afterward. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was told that in a German cinema at the end of one of the first screenings of the film, the entire audience sat in silence right through the credits and for a few minutes after.

Very good film, and very moving. Schindler had the best business time of his entire life during the war, all his projects prior and after bombed. As he says in the film War, was good for business.

Does anyone know what was with the lil girl in the red dress? was it a steven spielberg thing or wat? i believe it may have been something to do with Schindler’s past or sumthing rather.

Hey there champ maybe you should pay better attention. The girls dies later in the film and Schindler notices coz he has seen her before. :roll:

I have seen the film 3 times already and understand that she died later in film, it still makes you think though. However how many jews are still alive today that Schindler saved? I hear not many but that was 2 years.

G’day,

Overall a good movie. When first shown on commercial television in Australia it was commercial free.

Recognition of the charnel house the Nazi’s created in Poland during the war is not well known and of all the conquered countries Poland suffered the worst. I think the thing is, many unsavoury episodes of WWII have been covered up for so long it will take an extreme education process to make people aware. I think effective communication and exchange of ideas is the best way, because no movie company worth their salt will touch such subjects unless there is a buck in it.

Of a similar vein I thought Sophie’s Choice was a superior and more chilling movie.

Regards to all,
Digger.

I think it will be appropriate to remind everyone how real were characters from “Schindlers List”.

Look here:

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Poland/Plaszow/Plaszow03A.html

http://www.deathcamps.org/occupation/goeth.html

http://www2.latech.edu/~bmagee/seneca/senpapr5.htm

Regards,

Lancer44

One of the most interesting segments of the film is when that officer (played by Ralph Fiennes) is forced to confront the fact that he is in fact in-love with his Jewish slave/housekeeper. He is of course unable to admit this and sort of has a meltdown, and goes into denial as he slaps her around. The vicious prick’s unhappiness is almost sort of a poetic justice, though one that is far too small…