scoped Stg 44

i found this pic and was wandering why a MG would have a scope on it? the only thing i can think of is he was using it as a simi auto.

The Stg 44 was an assault rifle, so it could be used in semi-auto over longer distances.

Accessories

• Telescopic sight, the Gewehr-Zielfernrohr 4-Fach. x4 powered optic for sniping.
  • Infra-red night sight, Zielgeraet 1229 “Vampire”. 310 units delivered to Wehrmacht at final stages of the war.
  • Curved barrel attachment, Gebogener Lauf J/Krummlauf. Apparently strange device for shooting around the corners without exposing the shooter, but actually ingenious design for buttoned armored vehicle crew to have advantage against assaulting Soviet infantry.
  • Grenade Launcher, MP Gewehrgranatgeraet 43. Rifle grenade launcher. * Canvas and leather pouch for three magazines and stripper clip.

Source: http://www.wwiiguns.com

Edit: URL fix.

That article has so many mistakes in it that it isn’t worth the time spent reading it.

• Telescopic sight, the Gewehr-Zielfernrohr 4-Fach. x4 powered optic for sniping.

Incorrect, two scope mounts were trialed with the MP.43/1 and StG.44 (picture is from second series of trials) and the resaults were deemed unsatisfactory and the system was determined to be unsuitable for sniper work. No scoped StG.44’s were fielded.

• Infra-red night sight, Zielgeraet 1229 “Vampire”. 310 units delivered to Wehrmacht at final stages of the war.

I would consider this optimistic at best. There is an unverified account of troops in Eastern Europe using these to defend tanks from Russian infantry but I would still consider it more in the realm of fantisy than fact.