Second Hungarian Army Position, 1942 - Hungarian Forces | Gallery

Second Hungarian Army Position, 1942

A unit of Hungarian Second Army troops is shown here taking up a defensive position by the Don River in Russia during the summer of 1942, after having traveled long by train, marching many hundreds of miles, and fighting through Soviet defenses. The Honved Second Army was assigned the Hitler-directed role of securing the far-left flank of the German Sixth Army fighting for Stalingrad on the Volga River. But after winning at Stalingrad, the Red Army was now mainly interested in capturing a crucial east-west railroad line running though the 130 mile Don River front occupied by the 200,000 strong Hungarian Second Army, composed mainly of infantry units and with no armor at its disposal.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/hungarian-forces/34514/second-hungarian-army-position-1942

Umm… Gulf, my comment was referring to the fact the photo is dated in the caption as being from the summer of '42, and then talks about “…after winning at Stalingrad, the Red Army was now…” Obviously, the infantry’s Battle of Stalingrad had not begun, much less been won, by the summer of '42. I don’t know who posted this photo, but thoguht it was probably a syntax error of someone no familiar with English. I really hadn’t felt it necessary to spell the timeline out further than my simple earlier comment, but…

Here is a very brief TIMELINE. The Hungarian Second Army fought its way to the Don River, in the vicinity of Voronezh, during June-July 1942. Farther south and east, the Battle of Stalingrad began on July 17, 1942, with a forward drive of the German Sixth Army – and all hell broke loose during July, August, September, October and beyond. In November, a Soviet counter attack broke though the Romanian lines north and south of the city, and surrounded the German forces. In December, the Soviets made additional gains in Stalingrad, sealing the fate of the invaders, as well as breaking through the Italian lines well north of the city, For the Hungarians, stationed north of the Italians, there was a lull in the fighting until January 13, 1943, when a Red Army offensive began, breaking through their defenses after three days of fighting. By then the Battle of Stalingrad was just about over and in early February all German resistance ceased in the city. Hope all this helps.