Seeking info about a U.S Army Ord MVD co.

I am seeking some info about about the type of company my great uncle was in. He was in the 435th Ordnance Motor Vehicle Distribution Co. I only have the info that was contained in his discharge papers. This is what I know, maybe someone here can help me fill in the gaps:

He entered into service on Mar 16 1943

He was a Technician 5th grade- addressed as Cpl but did not have the same level of authority

He was listed on his discharge papers as both a (345) light truck driver and a (931) heavy truck driver. I believe he may have done both because I know through his daughter that his job was carrying the dead and wounded away from battle front. His separation qualification record says that he drove from a 10 ton truck to a half ton truck and also tractor and trailer. Says he hauled supplies equipment, ammunition and personnel and made all necessary repairs to the vehicles and serviced them. Also states he drove both day and night over all terrain.

He was in the Rhineland campaign

He received the E-A-M-E ribbon with one bronze star and a good conduct medal and well as a wwII victory medal

He departed from the US and arrived in ETO on Sept 14, 1943 and returned on Sept 19, 1945

He served 2 years and 16 days on foreign soil

The papers say his reason and authority for separation was Demobilization

If anyone has any information about these Ord MVD co.'s that would be great. Also what types of weapons would he have carried? Unless I can figure out which regiment or brigade he was in I don’t think I will be able to find out what exactly his company did. Any and all info appreciated!

thanks
neiceofww2vet:army:

Anyone??

“If anyone has any information about these Ord MVD co.'s that would be great.”

The word ‘Ordinance’ indicates probablly delivering ammunition as the primary task. One of hundreds of truck companys moving supplies from the ports or depots in western France to the combat units forward depots. Carrying dead and wounded away from the battlefield would have been a secondary task. Any empty truck companys ready to return would be assigned that task. Making the return trip west with German prisoners or broken equipment to be salvaged would be other miscl cargo.

“He was listed on his discharge papers as both a (345) light truck driver and a (931)”

Common for a ‘Driver’ to have multiple vehical qualifications. Drivers were susposoed to be able to perform First and Second Ecelon maintinance tasks. Since this was a Ordinance MVD Co he may have had some training on how to properly load different types of ammunition on a truck.

" Also what types of weapons would he have carried?"

Most likely a M1 Carbine. that was the most common weapon issued to support toops. He might have rated a pistol rather than a carbine. The M2 .50 caliber MG would have been in the inventory of a truck company as a antiaircraft weapon. At least four in a company. Since the Luftwaffe was seldom seen the antiaircraft MG usually remained in the armory box with the companys other unused weapons.

“Unless I can figure out which regiment or brigade he was in I don’t think I will be able to find out what exactly his company did. Any and all info appreciated!”

Since this truck company had its own ID number it was probablly a independant company and not a permanent part of a regiment or brigade. The company would be part of a transportation or truck Group or a Amunition Depot for as long as needed and transfered to another Group or unit as necessary.

Thats about all I can say for now. If you learn any more details let me know.

Thanks Carl,
That was good info. I am working on a short peice for the family. I have plenty of info about his decorations and such, just trying to find more about his actual job.
:army::cool:

I have recently found a website where I used his serial number to find out which division he was in and found that he was in Patton’s 3rd.
Any good websites about the 3rd would be appreciated.

Thats progress. You will find a few for a 3rd Divsion. There will be more for the ‘3rd Army’ which is different organization.

Yes he was a part of the fourth corps or third army…I do not know what division yet.

Ok, his company may have been assigned directly to the Corps HQ, or a support group and not to a divsion. Or, it may have been attached temporarily to several different divsions on different dates. Depended on where it was needed and the mood of the logistics officers.