Seeking photos for book

I am seeking color photos of specific WW2 aircraft for a book I am publishing. I have found all I need except for a handful of planes. I am hoping someone here might be able to point out some good sources of photos of these particluar planes, or even have some they would be willing to contribute. The photos obviously need to be in the public domain, or the copyright holder must be know, or they are of no use to me. There are several photos here on this website that would work nicely, but I do not know their copyright status or sources, so if anyone DOES know, I’d appreciate it if you could clue me in.

The planes are:

The Ki-84 “Hayate”…The Planes of Fame operated one of these during the sixties until it was sold off to a Japanese collector who placed it in a museum in Japan, so I know that there are some color pictures available…I just don’t know who has them. Seen any?

The Stuka…There are only two surviving (intact) Stukas in the world, one in Chicago and one in the RAF museum in London. The London one is the best example. If anyone has any good pix of this plane, or any vintage photos that they know are in the public domain, please let me know. A great deal of Luftwaffe stuff is NOT public domain, unless it is captured material in the US National Archives.

The SM.79 …Just one left, in a museum near Rome. Any help here is obviously appreciated. There are some nice ones in the galleries here, but I do not know their source. Do you?

The Il-2 Sturmovik…They built over 35,000 of these planes, so there must be a few good pictures floating around somewhere. Anybody?

The Me-110…I have one of these, but I could use a better one. There are some museum examples of this plane around, and lots of vintage stuff in the archives here. Does anyone know if any of it is public domain?

I’m looking for shots of the entire aircraft, preferably in color, although anything would be great provided I can publish it. If you have any pictures of these planes, or know someone who might, please let me know.

The book in question is “Fritz the Fox’s Funny Little Book of WW2 Airplanes.” It is a visual encyclopedia of WW2 airplanes designed for kids, with a view towards being entertaining as well as informative. You may view a sample page from the book here:

http://www.spanishcastlegraphics.com/pix/samplepage.jpg

This is a small publishing effort, so I can offer little in return to contributors. However, any photos I accept for publication will receive a photo credit (if you are the copyright holder), and I will provide you with a free PDF copy of the book. You will also have the smug satisfaction that you’ve been published somewhere, even if it is in a very silly book :slight_smile:

Anyone who can contribute, either post here or feel free to email me at fritz @ boomandzoomgraphics.com

sorry i cant help with your request but these stuka’s are they air worthy just that iv not seen any flying and i would have thought that Duxford would have tryed to get one or two.

No, there are no airworthy restored Stukas. However, there is a 3/4 scale replica that does fly, although I am not sure who owns it.

As an update to my posting, I now have pictures of all the aircraft mentioned except for the Ki-84 Hayate.

got a link about that plane but only 2 pics on the site and for all i know youv already been there
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbonne/warbirds/ww2htmls/nakaki84.html hope this is helpful.
shoogs

I really need color pictures, or at the very least, I need to know who the copyright holder is (if any).

Fritz, this page might not help, but I think it has several color pictures of KI-84’s. I’ll just leave it to you to get what you need from the sight. IF you can find the copyright information anywhere.Good luck with your book. I would buy it if I could.

http://www.warbirdsalive.com/wblist/japanese/ki84/ki-84%20Chiran.htm

saw an incredible hard cover book about the Italian airforce during WWII–all in color. I didn’t understand one word of it because it was in Italian, so I don’t remember the title. I can check again this weekend if you want. They may provide clues as to what archives are being used for the source of the photos.

Thanks, guys. I followed up the warbirdsalive link recently, but the mailing address is in Japan, so I have no idea if my email got through or was understood. I also attempted to reach the museum where it is housed, with the same (non)result. In any event, no result from either.

I’m getting annoyed enough to fly to Japan myself. (although on my budget I will probably have to swim LOL)

Anyone who knows of any good Japanese aviation archival sources feel free to chime in.

I’m good on everything else now. Just need the Ki-84.