Semiautomatic & Assault rifles.

What’s that for a weapon the second guy from the left carries?
The magazine looks strange.

Source: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73139

Looks like a G.41(W) to me

Definately a G-41.

Split topic from “rare guns”

Walther MKb 42.

The german breakthrough therefore came when an order was given in April 1938 to develop a weapon that used the specially developed Maschinenkarabiner-Patrone 7.92x33 or Kurzpatrone, later also called Pistolenpatrone 43, that was essentially a shortened Mauser 7.9mm standard rifle cartridge filled with pistol ammunition powder. Two notable designs emerged. The first was constructed by the company Walther and was called Maschinenkarabiner 42 (W) or Mkb 42(W).

The MKb 42 used a gas operated system and it shot from closed bolt in full atomatic fire.

Is not sure how many were manufactured, the sources gave figures between 500-2000 rifles.

Panzerknacker; the whole intermediate cartridge story is quite an interesting one. Originally the job of designing the new Rifle/cartridge combination was given to Vollemer in the early 1930’s and he came up with several prototypes until it was shelved in 1936 or so. Then all of a sudden Hugo Schmeisser of Heanel is approached to develop a new rifle made of as many stampings as possible around a new 8x33mm calibre. Which resulted in the birth of the MKb.42(H). For some reason Walther got in on the act too and came out with the MKb.42(W). Although it was never a serious contender it did prompt Schmeisser to change his design from a open bolt gun to being closed bolt. Which became the MP.43/1

Thanks for the info, incidentally I ve found several images of the Haenel variant but very few of the Walther karabiner.

I’ve actually fired the Walther MKb32(W): a very soft, slow action. :cool:

Great, I guess no much people had the oportunity tho actually firing this rare gun. what you mean with very soft action ?

MKb 42 (W)

The action cycled quite slowly and the recoil was soft.

OK, the rate of fire surely isnt much in that way. :rolleyes:

You don’t want an extremely high rate of fire, designers go to great lengths to reduce it in shoulder fired individual weapons.

Nice pictures of the G-41 walther in action.

The G-41 kinda reminds me of the way the F.N.-49 functions. Was the F.N. design derivative of the G? A friend, owned a sturmGewehr, and fired it on a range visit, (he wouldnt let any of us fire it, tisk-tisk,) and also an SKS. between the two there (from my vantage point) didnt seem to be alot of difference in recoil, or noise. just by observing how the rifle moved him when firing. As it was mine, the SKS is an easy to fire rifle, with little recoil, and not alot of noise compared to the 30-06, or 8mm (non Besa)

The requeriment behind the G-41 was for a semiautomatic rifle with no gas holes in the barrel and with the posibility of manual operation as a normal bolt action if its automatic system failed…crazy.

Well, the F.N. had a gas port, oddly enough, also a valve to vary the gas pressure, and another to close off the gas port for a plain repeating action. The valve was just behind the Frt. sight, under the handguard, and the shut-off was in frt. of the foresight, just above the BBL.

FN49.jpg

Yeap, but the G-41 work in a different way using the principle of muzzle gas trap also knows as “bang” system after the danish guy who invented him, extremely and unnecesary complicated.

SS soldier with bayoneted G-41W

sigh! loved my FN49 had Egyptian Markings the sights were graduated in arabic and had the Royal Egyptian crown on the reciever its the daddy of the FNFAL or L1A1 SLR in OZ, the gas layout even the bolt carrier is immediately recognisable by anyone who’s fired and cleaned the FAL/L1A1 sadly my 49 went the way of thousands of semi autos when they were banned, chopped up and burnt:twisted::twisted::twisted::evil:

Quote by P.K.: “Yeap, but the G-41 work in a different way using the principle of muzzle gas trap also knows as “bang” system after the danish guy who invented him, extremely and unnecesary complicated.”

The Germans always have to be different eh? :slight_smile:

A terrible and sad day for free men everywhere. When I was about 15, some friends were planning to move to Australia for employment opportunities. They had offered me the chance to go along, and live there too.My parents were okay with it,and I was looking forward to going, when they changed their minds, as they would not be able to bring their firearms with them. He made a pointed statement to the immigration official concerning this, (I was not allowed to know what he said,He was of Scot ancestry, and tolerated Government not at all.)long story short, I didnt get to go, and I agree with the friend’s decision.
Did your government compensate you for your weapons? or did they do the Jackbooted thug routine?