Should We Ban SS avatars and other symbols of racist/neo-Nazi ideology?

Re: No fun with the hun???

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132382&postcount=21

I think that you have brought up some excellent points. I personally would not have a problem banning SS avatars and other symbols of racist/neo-Nazi ideology.

Concern over its recent proliferation has been brought up among the mods, and I feel that it should be seriously considered as official policy on this website.

I have no issue with banning Neo-Nazi names/symbology/etc. of which Stevey’s 14/88 is a very clear example (indeed, my avatar is a response to one such long-departed moron). Actual Nazi symbols however I have greater issues with - for starters they are a part of the very history this forum exists to discuss.

Furthermore, where exactly do you draw the line? Stalinist Russia was very nearly as bad as Nazi Germany, as were a whole bunch of “National” fascist movements.

Should the success of a movement count as well as the intent? The British Union of Fascists were singularly incompetent (having the sh*t kicked out of them in the Battle of Cable Street before being interned during WW2) yet I have no doubt that had they been successful they would have been as bad as any other fascist group. Should we ban their symbols too?

While I (sort of) agree with the concept, I think this would be a nightmare to implement.

So if he starts his usual death to these people and death to those people and i love the ss in the pic section will that carry over to the forum? Such as perma ban? Or will we still give him benefit of doubt?

I posted a copy of Navyson’s post in here as I think it is an extremely relevant point and should be discussed. My inclination is to say that the two parts are totally seperate, but we need a policy on this now!

Well, I think that we can start out with the obvious SS/Neo-Nazi names/symbology/etc. avatars and signatures and work our way from there. The rest could be done on an arbitrary basis by the super mods (as I think they would be lesser known and more rarely encountered).

I would have to agree with ardee that some of these kids may get the wrong impression seeing all the nazi avatars floating around. It may be drawing the wrong crowd.

I think one can draw a distinction between historical allusions to SS units and other Nazi-related retro WWII mythology and to web agendists or trolls trying to draw correlations from WWII to the contemporary Neo-Nazi and hate groups. I don’t necessarily have a problem with SS unit avatars, but names of post-war racist credos like “14/88” are pretty gauling and deserve much scrutiny. But no need to preemptively ban, and they are easily destroyed and don’t last very long anyways. Nor do many such trolls actually post here.