Show your military unit-emblems (with pride)!

Hi folks!

First of all, I hope that such a thread does not already exist.

Maybe you feel a slight pleasure to show your personal military-emblems of those units you served or serve in. This could be an interesting experience due to the different symbols all the armies and units used and use.

So I start with mine:

1. Panzergrenadier-Battaillon in Nienburg, North-West-Germany near Bremen and Hannover. I served in the 3rd and 5th company there from 1994-1996 and ended up as Stabsunteroffizier (“StUffz.”; I guess it is similar to staff-sergeant, tank-gunner and later inf. squad-leader). The unit was equipped with the APC “MARDER” 1A3.

The emblem itself shows the typical weapons of the infantry in the left upper corner - the bayonet and a handgreande (both in WW2-style, which is pretty cool). “Discussable” is the symbolized “Wolfsangel” in the right corner. WW2-buffs might already have recognized that the 2. Waffen-SS-Division used the same symbol. Not a good choice by the Bundeswehr maybe. The “wolf´s angle” was an old fashioned trap to hunt for wolves. The color green shows again a link to the infantry -green is the traditional colour in the Bundeswehr for all inf.-units.

The unit was “deleted” in 1997, although it was a so called “KRK-unit” which meant that we were mainly trained for missions abreoad, like in Yugoslavia etc.

Jens

Interesting, any picture of the Marder IFV ( how is the name of IFV in german ? )

Hi PK!

It is “Schützenpanzer”, but the direct translation would be

“Infanterie-Kampffahrzeug” (but this is an uncommon term).

I will try to post some pics of the Marder later.

BTW: Nobody around here who has something to show?

And I have found the company-emblem from my unit:

Regards

Jens

Here are some exclusive pics of the Schützenpanzer Spz Marder 1A3 … they were all taken in 1996 in Canada (“Shiloh Range” in Manitoba, which is no longer used by the German Army).

Jens

Nice, very nice, danke Flammpanzer

Thanks for putting those pictures up for us Flammpanzer.
Sorry, I don’t have anything to show, I wasn’t in the military. (My father was though.)

Badge worn by all the German troops from the 1st company (staff and supply unit) that served on Shilo Range, Manitoba/Canada. This training-ground is no longer used by the Bundeswehr AFAIK.

I stayed there in summer 1996 for three weeks. All exercises were done only with live ammunition (and we “wasted” a lot of it), which was pretty cool. :mrgreen:

Jens

Hey Flammpanzer, were you ever in Hillersleben? That place seems like an amazing location to train…

No, Schuulz, I have never been there, but I know the training-ground Bergen very well (been there at least 8 times) and Hohenfels in Bavaria, to which I have beem 2 times. Both are major training grounds of the Bundeswehr and other forces (British troops resp. US Army).

Man, has no one here some badges to show, I really feel like a solo entertainer … :mrgreen:

Jens

Well, I’m afraid most of us have never been in the military, Flammpanzer. We prefer to study it from the safety of a library, desk or PC. I do, however, plan to go through the 9 months when I’m done with University in 2 years.
Depending on how I liked that, I might choose to become an officer. Definitely won’t join the Panzergrenadiers, though ^^.

We prefer to study it from the safety of a library, desk or PC

:smiley: … well, im most cases, this is def. the better way to deal with “military” …

Definitely won’t join the Panzergrenadiers, though ^^.

Hm, I can really understand AND support that, I would rather recommend the Panzertruppe (more driving and less walking) … :wink:

Well, I’m afraid most of us have never been in the military,

But okay, you are right - I was not aware of that before I started this thread; anyway, I got the impression in the last few months reading through the forum that at least a few of you here served.

Maybe somebody has something to show, I am still hoping … :mrgreen:

Jens

… and meanwhile some more “Marder-pics” resp. BW-stuff … maybe you like them … :wink:

Jens

IIRC, at least one forum-member served in the US Army, NickdFresh - might be wrong about that.
Rising Sun* often sounds as if he was at least a reservist at one point - again, I don’t know for sure.

Hm, I can really understand AND support that, I would rather recommend the Panzertruppe (more driving and less walking) … :wink:

I was actually thinking along the lines of Fallschirmjaeger - there’s just something about jumping out of flying planes…

Looking at those pictures, they must be relatively old? I still see G3s and Steel Helmets?

I did serve in the US Army and Reserve, and I believe RS* was a Digger Reservist towards the end of the Vietnam era, something about machine guns…

I’m a little hesitant to post them, but here are my patches:

Tactical:

The above is from “INSCOM,” or Intelligence and Security Command. I’m not sure what we had to do with intelligence though. :slight_smile:

I do have one story. As I was stationed in Maryland, I would frequently go out wearing my “BDUs” (fatigues) to run to the store or mall or whatever on the way home or back to the barracks.

Onetime in a mall store of some sort, this sort of unkempt looking younger guy’s eyes became wide-as-coins as he pointed at me and said excitedly, “the satanists were wearing that patch on ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ last night!” So I looked back at him and pretended to run away in a panicked manner, then started laughing hysterically once I was out of their site… :smiley: :evil:

“Unsolved Mysteries” was a TV show in the 1990s featuring Robert Stack hosting a series of dramatic reenactment of cold case crimes. In one episode (I saw later as a rerun), a group of satanists supposedly tried to abduct some girl for what was to be ritualistic sacrifice. The INSCOM patch has some occultist symbolism apparently that I am unaware of. In any case, that might be a shoe that fits as the commander of INSCOM in the 70s and to the early 1980s, a Major General Albert Stubblebine, was an avid proponent of using military psychics (called “remote viewers”) and believe the West was at a serious disadvantage against the Godless-communists in the East as they had reportedly been studying ESP and psychokinesis since the 60s at least. His nickname was “spoon-bender” because he was also a big believer int he Uri Geller fraud. I believe Stubblebine also had an uncanny resemblance to actor Lee Marvin. There’s more on him in the link below…

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/12/i-wish-that-hadnt-happened_09.html

This was my other patch from the 98th DIV (reservist training)…

Ah, thanks for sharing, Nick! :smiley:

Looking at those pictures, they must be relatively old? I still see G3s and Steel Helmets?

Yes, you are abs. right. The pics are from the mid 90s, the G-3 is not in use anymore (except in some special purpose roles I think, like as DMR in some units).

And btw you can see the funny mix of uniform-types: the old “Oliv” uniforms and the newer camouflage-pattern that was issued from 1993 on. I was lucky and got this camo-set from the beginning on, because the older unicolor “clothes” really look ugly to me :army:

Nowadays all German Army troops have the “Fleckentarn”, which is very similar to the Danish camo pattern which was issued even earlier. These patterns were computer-designed in the 80s and relate much to the old Waffen-SS-camo-style.

Jens

Sure? I remember reading that the Danish camo pattern is based on the German Flecktarn with just the brown color omitted.

Well, depends on how you spin it. If you say that Flecktarn is based on the Wehrmacht/Waffen SS Erbsenmuster, the Danes had it before the Bundeswehr, as they adopted a lot of those old uniforms.
But then again, they adopted it from the Germans, so the Germans practically had it first, but theoretically ‘based’ it off the Dutch Erbsenmuster - can you imagine the shitstorm the Bundeswehr would be in if they said ‘We copied an old SS camo.’ ?

Rising Sun* often sounds as if he’s at least fairly drunk at most points, often because he is (and I’m in a position to know), so he can’t be sure about much at any point.

However, through the fog of alcohol and time, here’s his unit badge.

Quiz:

1. Why does an Australian unit, whose predecessor distinguished itself against Germany in WWI, wear a badge with the emblem of the English Prince of Wales with a German motto?

2. Why does that unit carry battle honours from WWI unequalled by any other Australian unit?

As for RS’s stunningly unimpressive military service, he is shown here (third from right in a photo censored by both the Army and the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) making his only contribution to Australia’s defence by helping the light horses breed. RS’s spare breeding balls, which are somewhat smaller than his natural endowment, are shown carried on the horse behind and to right of second man from right.

So what exactly is the German motto of that unit?

Also, those feathers look a lot like dicks - just sayin’…

Also, both those images are recent uploads from the photo section. Coincidence or did you upload the unit badge?

ICH DIEN(E) means “I serve”. But maybe these words are Welsh?

Anyway, I did not expect you being sooo old, RS… :mrgreen:

Jens