Simo Häyhä - the White Death

Simo Häyhä

Simo Häyhä was the most successful sniper in the WWII.
He fought in Finnish army against Russias Red Army

Häyhä used as a sniper rifle, his “Suojeluskunta” Mosin-Nagant m/28-30 “Pystykorva” -rifle. Unlike his Russian opponents, he favoured “open sights”, without scope.

Without scope it was faster to get the aimpoint. And also the scope used to get hoarfrosted in the winter. Sometimes reflection of light in scope revealed the spot of sniper. Without scope you could also crouch in lower position which was essential.

Häyhä caused so big losses in Soviet Armys officers that they had big awards for the killer of Häyhä. Some sources even say that they arranged grenade attacks in order to get rid of him.

1. March 1940 Häyhä was injured in face, by explosive bullet. He stayed alive. After he woke up from coma, the war ended.

All kills Häyhä has made, are shot just in 3 months. All kills are confirmed by his fellow soldiers. When the kill couldnt be confirmed or the death wasnt sure, it wasnt taken into count. Also the couple hundred kills made with Suomi-machinepistol werent counted.

He still snipered 542 soldiers of Red Army.

It is still the world record.

1998, when they asked how did he became so good shooter, he answered:“By practice.”

Simo Häyhä died 1. April 2002

The gentleman himself in his heyday:

OMG a scope!

Very interesting, found also this article about the Finnish hero.
http://www.kevos4.com/Simo_Hayha.htm

“Hakkaa päälle pohjan poika”

Simo Häyhä didnt use a scoped rifle. He must’ve held it, nothing else.

He once said that he could’ve took a scoped nagan from a dead russian sniper, but he didnt, because he was used to a none scoped one, and he could have his head a little lower.

Simo Häyhä was a great man, and think about how many kills he would have if he could’ve staid in the battle.
his the worlds best sniper, as u all know…

With no scope. My dads even shook his hand in the army.

Just like fighter aces, I think theres a difference between ‘highest scoring sniper’ and ‘the best sniper’, the best is to hard to qualify.

Oh yes sry.

So, are you saying that although Häyhä had over 500 kills, he might not be the best sniper?

Are you saying that some american in Gulf War, 2 kills, could have been better?

Edited by Dani

I dont think he is saying that, your saying that… Maybe what he means is that some other finn with 450 kills was better. :?

Edited by Dani

So, are you saying that although Häyhä had over 500 kills, he might not be the best sniper?

Are you saying that some american in Gulf War, 2 kills, could have been better?[/quote]

I dont think he is sayiny that your saying that… Maybe what he means is that some other finn with 450 kills was better. :?[/quote]

Play nicely now children !

Edited by Dani

If you cant catch then dont throw… :lol:

“Are you saying that some american in Gulf War, 2 kills, could have been better?”

I didn’t know BILLY JOE ARMSTRONG was in the Gulf War! Uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh!

Edited by Dani

I dont think he is saying that, your saying that… Maybe what he means is that some other finn with 450 kills was better. :?[/quote]

Finns arent […], americans are

Edited by Dani

[quote=“JosephPorta”]

I dont think he is saying that, your saying that… Maybe what he means is that some other finn with 450 kills was better. :?[/quote]

Finns arent […], americans are[/quote]

I mentioned that youse okes should play nicely…

Can a mod get a grip please ?

Edited by Dani

Thanks Cuts for pointing it out!

JosephPorta, I bet that you didn’t read read our rules: http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2563#2563

Do yourself a favour and read until you’ll understand:

The users also agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, racist, xenophobic, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate applicable laws. Doing so may lead to the authors of such posts being immediately and permanently banned (and their service provider being informed).

mike M., also you should remember this:

Remember to always treat others on the site with respect
I understand that you wanted to make JosephPorta to understand what he have done, but you should done this in a smoother way.