Small arms only quiz

It is preposterous to group small arms and big guns in the same quiz. Here’s a proper one. First person to post a correct answer can post the next question, except PK, who is already king of his own sandpit.

First question:

In the specification for the rifles which were to become the two G41s, what were the two extra limiting factors imposed on the designers above and beyond the usual considerations , and why were they put there? extra brownie points for why these considerations were both unnecessary and unnecessarily complicated the designs.

In this case, the best answer provided by 12 p.m. Central European Time (that is one hour from now) gets to continue. A complete answer provided before then automatically wins. Is no good answer is provided by the above time, and extension will be provided.

My thruppence worth:

1. The weapon had to be capable of being manually operated.
  2. The bbl of the wpn was not to be drilled for a gas port.

Requirements also stated that no part of the upper surface was to move in auto loading, and that std 7.92 ammo was to be used.

That’s for sure.

Preposterous is as preposterous does. :wink:

I don’t think anybody is going to do better than cuts in the next 10 minutes, so he takes it.

Cuts, your question Sir!

For reference, and what would have got brownie points, would have been to state that the German brass hats had an irrational fear of tapping barrels laterally for gas – they believed it weakened the barrel (which it doesn’t), so this forced the really inefficient and over complex muzzle trap and annular piston around the barrel system.
Mauser interpreted the manual operation requirement to mean that it could be manually operated as a normal turn bolt, so they built a ridiculous turn bolt handle into it. This was complicated and unreliable.
The “no moving surface” was essentially utterly random, there is no fundamental reason why not to have one in such an open top design.

An easy one then.

What were the main differencies between the Bergmann 34/I and most other weapons of the ilk ?

That shouldn’t be too taxing.

Magazine on the right-hand side
floating firing pin
unnecessary, complex bolt retracting assembly

That’ll do, crack on.

How many rounds of what calibre did the trials Garand Rifle take?

10 rds of .276
Too easy, give us another one :smiley:

In what direction, and by roughly how much, does the point of impact deviate at 100 yards from a correctly zeroed rifle when a bayonet was attached to the following rifles:

SMLE
No.4
M-N 1891/30

Given a standard bayonet, ie a 1907, the SMLE shoots 2’ high.
Interestingly the No. 4 with fixed bayonet will shoot 10" low.

Now for your trick question. :smiley:
The Mosin-Nagants were zeroed with the bayonet attatched so if a rifle has been correctly zeroed, fixing a bayonet will have no effect on the PoI.

Taking the bugger off on the other hand will sod the PoI completely. (Try 18" high & 3’ right on one example !)

Whoops, forgot to pose a question, let’s have another easy one.

What is the longest ‘serving’ cartridge in the world ?
By which I mean which metallic cartridge has seen the longest term of continuous use by regular forces ?

MoS, give everyone else a chance !

Handgun - 9mm Para.?

Rifle - .303 British? Or if that cartridge no longer serves, perhaps the 7.62x54R Russian.

JT

Come on, make your mind up ! :smiley:

As we Germans had to give up the Mauser I would think too it’s the 7,62x54R

You made the decision so you’ve got it.
Your question now.

Ah, crap, I suck at making up questions.
Hmmm, who constructed the Flieger Selbstladekarabiner 1915

Designed it or built it ?

Designed by a Mexican chap called Mondragon, built if I remember correctly by SIG in Switzerland (not sure about the latter point)

meant designed it and man of stoat has the right to pose questions