Snipers

This may already be a topic but i’m posting it anyway. Here we will discuss specific snipers from different countries, rifles used, scopes used and techniques they used… so without any futher a do post away!

Accuracy Internation Super Magnum

[ul]Caliber .338 Lapua (8.60x70mm)
.300 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag
Operation Bolt Action
Length 50 inches
Weight 14.99 lbs (6.8kg) empty without telescope
Barrel 27" (.338 Lapua)
26" (.300 and 7mm)
Twist, Right Hand 1 turn in 8" (.338 Lapua)
1 turn in 10" (.300 and 7mm)
Magazine Capacity 5 round box magazine
Maximum Effective Range 1100+ meters
Additional Features: 1 piece scope mount
Parker-Hale bipod
Black, custom-fitted case
Tool kit
Cleaning kit[/ul]

The PM Super Magnum, or Super Magnum (SM) as it is now known, is essentially an Artic Warfare rifle upgraded to accept the high power cartridges, especially the .338 Lapua. The barrel is slightly longer to take full potential of the .338, and the range is increased signifcantly. This rifle is approaching the range of the .50 cals, but yet its only slightly heavier then the standard 7.62mm version of the rifle. Accuracy of all the AI rifles gets down around .5 MOA.

Several military forces around the world are adopting the Super Magnum as a special purpose sniper rifle. The U.K. was one of the first and has designated the rifle L115A1 and uses it as a “platoon level support weapon”.

Sniper Central.com

Me with an Accuracy International on Ballykinler ranges, NI

Wow, strange to think that Betty decided I should have one of those ! :lol:
(Note the British Army ‘issue’ tripod and beanbag - beats the kak out of anything else.)

It is a very comfortable rifle to shoot don’t you think BDL ?
A small point, the picture you’ve used doesn’t show the folding butt, (as an be seen in these two pics,) I take it the one you used at Ballykilner did have it ?

A marked improvement on Cooper’s original design, though not an easy wpn to stalk with.
Still, considering MC was a competition shot it’s hardly surprising.
The L42 was a treat to use, though if I was to build this sort of rifle from scratch I’d probably start with a Model 700

Honestly can’t remember the butt mate - it was four years ago now and I only got a few rounds with it because I was mates with a Royal Irish sniper who worked in our training wing.

I did find it far more comfortable than shooting with the SA80 though, very easy to shoot with (I suppose you’d expect a rifle designed by an Olympic shooter to be though…).

Hey

I am new here thought i would give er a shot. well if it was me on a creep i would use an m40 a1. Or an m1a. m1a is a very reliable gun. Im sure you all now that it was used as an infantry rifle first. But its got the range to reach out and touch some one. the m1a is on my top 10 list. of rifles.

It was only a matter of time before someone brought up a semi-auto “sniper rifle”…

whats wrong with semi auto
a sniper needs a gun he can rely on if the crap hits the fan
and hes gotta do some escape and evasion. Something semi
nothing wrong at all with an m1a for a sniper rifle.

Semi-auto sniper rifles can give the position of the shooter away because they send a shiny spinny brass case into the air when they are fired. This is not something you want when you’re hiding. They are also not (in general) as accurate as bolt-action sniper rifles.

British snipers are issued a backup wpn for when the excrement hits the rotating impellor (an SA-80).

I’m interested to know why the semi-auto is not as accurate as the bolt. Is there a reason?

Good point MoS!!
Found these sniper rifles:
http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

Barrel weight cannot be as great on a semi-auto since the actions are heavier, bbls cannot usually properly be free-floated due to the gas system (except HK-type blowback wpns), bedding to the stock cannot be achieved so well due to the shape of the actions (an issue with M14-type rifles), there is always play between upper and lower in a hinged construction, tolerances can be tighter on a b/a so locking can be more consistent.

Ergonomically, the trigger mech on a semi-auto will never be as good as a b/a due to complexity.

Put it this way: it took until 1997 (IIRC) for the Camp Perry National Match to be won with a semi-auto, and this particular rifle was heavily customised such that it would be too ungainly for service use.

Thanks for that mate, now Im informed. I wonder if in the future this problem can be overcome. Mind you, does it need to be.

I don’t think it’s a problem that needs overcoming for the one-shot sneaky-beaky approach.

As a support wpn in the sort of “designated markman” role (I have also heard it described as “infantry sniping”, i.e. non-sneaky-beaky, higher volume-of-fire stuff designed to increase the reaching power of an inf unit) there’s a place for a semi-auto, i.e. the role in which the Russkies use the Dragunov and the Yanks the M21

Even though i’m an army cadet i’ve still held my fair share of rifles. I prefer the bolt actions as it kind of gives you a sense of attachment to the rifle itself. if you get my drift.

Does anyone know what Yowie suits Are?

Same as a Ghillie suit?

Exactly.

If I came across a person in a Ghillie suit ,I most likely have heart attack upon finding him Those suits are scarry looking LOL :oops:

Here is a No4 Mk1T

lol. They are very hot when you wear them but they make you look cool.

The rifle used by Australian Snipers

First time i came across a ghillie suit i was on camp with some friends and a guy was wearing one and i tripped over him lol

Plerase post your thoughts on this particular Sniper Rifle