sociology project

i am working on a research paper on nazi german
I think i would talk about how a society being so similiar to NA style (a democratic society, a modern society with high achievment) can accept a leader and his violent and racist policy? What prevent us from having a similiar leader?

First i think the main reason is the recovering economics has made hitler looks like god to aid german economics

Second the german has put their anger on the depression and the V treaty

Third is that hitler praised german race to be the best. The germans are in complete shameful after they lost the war and have to pay all the conseuquences of the war. When german get to know hitler and his policy, they agree that all their effort on the war and its aftermath has finally payoffs and should be consider be better than the jews (an easy target to be compare), which is known as the conflict perpsective.

in 1929, german has enter in to the depression and many people are not having a good life. Hitler use symbolic interactionist perspective to symbolize that jews are the enemy of this country and should not be respected around the country.

any more ideas?
thanks for helping me out
or simply give a comment is very good, thanks again

To understand Hitler, go back a bit further. Read up on Austria-Hungary and their goals, ideals and heirarchy. Their society is a big arrow to Hitler and his goals and ideals.

It is at least arguable that Hitler was in many ways (the militarist and expansionist ones anyway) following a path that Germany had been on since Kaiser Wilhelm II dismissed Bismarck. The German war aims of WW2 were in many ways very similar indeed to those of WW1, with the exception of the racially inspired murders of the Nazis. The works of Fritz Fischer would be a good place to start on this - http://www.historians.org/perspectives/issues/2000/0003/0003mem1.cfm .

Any suggestions for good books on Austria-Hungary Firefly? I’m on a book-obtaining kick again, having just got Yefim Gordon’s book on the MiG-15 and Forgotten Victory by Gary Sheffield over the past couple of days.

What prevent us from having a similiar leader?

I am not well read on US history, but is there a case to be made that the McCarthyite era in the 50s (?) could have been the start of a similar set of circumstances in the US?

Luckily, it ended fairly quickly, but people were “blacklisted”, lost their livelihoods, had to leave the country etc etc.

I know it’s a very, very long way from that to concentration camps, but they are both on similar roads.

What circumstances were similar? Strong perceived external enemy (USSR in both cases, British Empire in WW2), internalise and persecute a minority of the population (Jews or the political left) and what were different (depression versus the “golden age”).

What would have happened if McCarthy had become more prominent?
If President, could he have strengthened his policies?
Was there evere a possibility he could have risen to high office, or was his support base too small?

Just a thought :slight_smile:

I’m sorry mate, I read those books about 20 years ago. An interesting one I read recently was ‘The Third Reich’ a new history by Micheal Burleigh. It deals more with the why than the how, a bit dry at times but gives a good understanding as to how the Weimar Republic became Nazi Germany.

I don’t know if this helps, but a US history teacher effectively replicated the rise of Nazi-like fascism in his school by starting a “movement” as an experiment. The story was later made into a TV movie.

The Wave video - Alexander Grasshoff - 1981 $28.99US
VHS / DVD
The Wave video - Alexander Grasshoff - 1981

To explain to his students the atmosphere in the 1930’s Nazi-Germany, history teacher Burt Ross initiates a daring experiment. He declares himself leader of a new movement, called ‘The Wave’. Inspired, he proclaims ideas about Power, Discipline and Superiority. His students are strikingly willing to follow him. Soon the entire school is under the spell of ‘The Wave’. Anyone who refuses to be a part of the Movement, faces threats or worse. Ross himself gets carried away by his own experiment. Or has it turned into something more than an experiment? A climax is unavoidable, resulting in a hard lesson for both Ross and his students…

viewer’s comments:

-A frightening study in psychology.

Based on a real incident at an American high school in 1967, this short TV movie shows the horror of mob psychology and group pressure. The high school teacher gives his students a lesson in the history of Nazi Germany, not by having them read a chapter in a book but by turning them into Nazis – without their even being aware that it is happening.

The film should be part of every school’s curriculum. The tendency toward in-groups and gangs is strong amongst teens, and the tragic consequences can be seen periodically in the news headlines. This film is a warning of the potential that lurks within us all.

• Looking rather dated these days, but still a useful bit of social theory

There would be thousands of high-school students who read the novel that preceded this film, that is essentially about the power of the group on the individual, and the lack of tolerance that a ‘mainstream’ group has for diversity or free thought. Unfortunately the movie now looks dated and excessively melodramatic; it would be good to see it re-made with more realistic script-writing and better acting.

As a resource for social psychology its fairly simplistic and basic, but the point is evident: you can shape impressionable minds into a monolithic and unified group easily enough, and that group will as a consequence seek to eliminate diversity and perceived weakness, through intimidation and violence if necessary. The novel and film stemmed from an actual ‘experiment’ conducted by a high-school teacher in the 1970s, in line with Jane Elliott’s ‘brown eyes, blue eyes’ trial in social manipulation. Mind you, when Elliott conducts this experiment with adults (which she still does today in seminars) much more resistance and non-conformity is evident. Is that evidence that society has changed and is becoming more tolerant? Or just that adults are far less malleable and impressionable than children and teenagers?

The climax of The Wave - that the students have in fact been modelling themselves on the Nazis, and their mysterious leader is Adolf Hitler - is entirely predictable (especially when you consider that the whole activity started with a class discussion about why the Nazis enjoyed such broad support.) Such an extreme metaphor is not needed, however, because The Wave could’ve been any group: KKK, al Qaeda, a successful sports team or even a schoolyard peer group. I sometimes think that students doing social psychology miss the point here - that any group can exclude unfairly, intimidate to achieve its own ends, or suppress alternative or ‘different’ viewpoints from within it - because they think it’s ‘just about the Nazis’. Perhaps the old Usenet chestnut about Godwin’s Law could be invoked about this film.

http://www.learmedia.ca/product_info.php/products_id/86

I am also aware of some experiments in which college students were used as ‘guinea pigs’ in order to ascertain how regular people can be turned into sadistic torturers if it is established as “the norm”…