Most impressive…time and time again. The Tiger II at La Gleize:
100_4655.jpg

Cool diorama at the Poteau museum:
100_4632.jpg

Battered US tank turret:
100_4642.jpg

German 100mm artillery piece of Czech origin:
100_4633.jpg

Memorial for the US victims (actually the victims of the upfront vehicle of the column) of 14th Cavalry Group. (“The ambush at Poteau”, December 18, 1944)
100_4645.jpg

More to come…

Very Nice FTG!

I wonder what type of weapon and ammunition would pockmark the Sherman turret like that? Sorry, I’m not up on these type of things, but would like to know.

For the turret I would venture the 20mm flak gun, but I’m probably wrong, so its anyone’s guess.

Nice pics FTG!!!

Thanks guys.
Concerning the Sherman turret I was a bit wrong. Actually it wasn’t a US tank but a British Firefly which was destroyed in the war and used for target practice by the Belgian Army after the war - hence the perforation.

Need spare track limb for Panther? Only 200 Euro (~280 US $):

Remains of US position at a creek’s embankment:

M3 (M5?) half-track:

The “Poteau Ambush site”…

…then…:
bulge-german-advance#.jpg

…and now:

thanks for sharing. I was in berlin for a week, which allowed me to visit a few things.

There’s definitely a lot of stuff to see in Berlin. Last time I’ve been there was in 1988 though, means the highlights in the eastern part of the town (and in the immediate border area on both sides of course) were concealed to us.

Great pictures!
Thanks for sharing.
Douglas

Not really a photo from a trip but anyway…

For quite some time I kept wondering about the story behind a row of four graves on our village’s cemetery. All of them 9-10 year old boys, all killed on the same day in July 1943.
Just yesterday I met an old farmer who was able to enlighten me that in a field these poor boys found themselves a new toy to play with that day back in 1943, it was a dud from the last air raid.

100_4747.jpg

these guys are truly heroes. they sacrificed their lives for the good of the many people. thanks for sharing these photos! they are inspiring.

Thank you for sharing these Flamethrower…

From German military cemetery at Lommel/Belgium, the largest one in western countries (38560 casualties of WW2, 542 of WW1):

One of the ~6000 unknown soldiers’ graves:

Part 2:

Inside the crypt:

View from the roof of the crypt:

The crypt seen from the cemetery’s entrance:

Am I mistaken, or is there a Polish flag next to a German one inside the crypt? Why would there be a Polish one, if it’s located in Belgium? Or is it an Austrian one? (It might be, if the second red bar is only folded over…)

Of course… :slight_smile:

It is Austrian flag.

Austrian, yes, the only word on the bow I can read after enlarging the photo is “Österreichischer”.

A little something from me.
July 2009 at Forsvarsmuseet på Bornholm, Denmark. Forsvarsmuseet = defence museum.

Light tank - M/24 Chaffee .
The propellers are from an allied bomber (British?) crash landed on Bornholm after bobming raid in Germany.

[b]

[/b]
Some photos of my tours…

Very good pictures, is impressive the size of the german sematary.

Great pictures…it always gives one a better understanding and perspective when you see it for real.

You can read all the battle and casualty accounts you want but nothing brings home a truer sense of the waste of war than the cemeteries. That picture from the roof of the crypt is proof of that. War really sucks.