Some video of a restored PAK 40 being fired, and a description of same.

Native Scots battle tactics were, indeed, pretty limited. The ideal was to place your force on a slope overlooking the enemy, and (as the latter were having breakfast) charge down on them yelling “Claibh Mór”. This could be quite effective, as General Sir John Cope and his Redcoats discovered at Prestonpans. “Fortunately”, the despised English quickly harnessed the aggression and élan of the Highlanders to more conventional forms of combat.

Love the John Cleese-related piece. But, one might ask oneself, what would happen if we in the West went beyond the point of being “very cross”? Problematic, I think … Yours from the Old Bazaar in Cairo, JR.

Most folks in these parts, myself included, agree with you RS*. We’re all shaking our heads over the Bergdahl exchange. Both the Congress, and Senate are considering their options for action subsequent to the release of the prisoners outside of required procedure. The Administration, and some other parts of the Government has turned itself into a bad Reality show. Perhaps its time I took up opal mining in the outback. :wink: :slight_smile:
And in consideration to JR’s last concerning John Cope, a lively tune… http://youtu.be/HRNOSr587Aw

Nah, it’s hard, hot, generally not profitable, and, at least in the 1960’s and 1970’s when I knew a little about it, populated by a bunch of crazies, many with questionable military or related histories from WWII in Europe, with a tendency to use explosives and other weapons to settle minor disputes or just for practical jokes.

http://www.michaelbgreen.com.au/andamooka-boomtown-blues

Every move by a crewman was carefully choreographed by repetitive training.
This for effectiveness of the piece and safety of the crew.
Quick reloading, target aquisition and firing.
Guess what? Military hardware is dangerous and not for kids.
Friend of mine told of a guy at the Artillery School who got his head in the way of a recoilling breech.
They marched the class by his body to see the effect of not paying attention.

They probably are using black powder and the blast is probably not that realisatic.
The dusty area helped with the effect.
These were high velocity pieces.
I have been around a bit of artillery and there is simply a difference.
Violent recoil and little smoke.
There is s U-toob of a Stug IV firing a blank that is just as bad.

Interesting on the broken promise regarding activation of the piece.

nice video