Some video of a restored PAK 40 being fired, and a description of same.

You Tube video giving a basic tour of the German Anti-Tank gun, and some info, and of course it being fired. Very impressive. http://youtu.be/T7fhBm1ouSU

would’t want to be in a tank with one of those creeping around :-?

Definitely couldn’t keep your position a secret.

I do not like that firing button. Would hate to be firing it if the spades aren’t properly dug in, or in soft soil etc.

Why no lanyard?

Like many people outside, and in, the US, I have some difficulties with US gun laws.

Then again, listening to the various weapons being fired in that video (is there a heavy machine gun?); watching what looks like minor artillery or mortars exploding downrange behind the speaker; and a brief look at small artillery to the left of the gun as the camera pans near the end of the video, I confess to a serious degree of envy in not being allowed to set up my own personal amusement park where I could responsibly* blast the shit out of the countryside with any calibre I can get my hands on.

*This is in contrast to something I read back in the 1960s where a couple of American farm boys were reported to have bought an army surplus artillery piece which they failed to use responsibly by, in a most un-neighbourly act, firing it at another farmer ploughing his land on a tractor. Fortunately lack of training produced lack of accuracy.

Upon reflection, is the crew member who fires it also the bloke who inserts the next round, so he has to be in that position?

I’m guessing here as I don’t know the crew, or drill requirements for this gun, but with A.T. guns of this type the man aiming it remains in his position throughout the engagement, since the rate of fire needs to be kept as high as possible for them to survive. There would be loaders, and others handling ammo, and seeing to the other details. Since the aimer/ gunner has to remain on the sights to acquire, and track targets, the button or lever arrangement might be the best thing to use. Lanyards were useful in keeping the crew out of harms way when firing a gun that had poor recoil control, and was given to jumping, and rolling. Or were just so large that being near the breach ring was dangerous.
As to civilians owning Artillery, the weapons are regulated at the Federal, and State levels, and require a comprehensive process to have one transferred and costs $200 per transfer (this process is repeated each time it is sold) The current wait time is about 8 to 12 months. Ammunition is not regulated beyond that of any other firearm unless its explosive. The Gun itself is classed as a “Destructive Device non explosive” and the explosive munitions are classed “Destructive Device, explosive” ( this classification also includes live grenades of most types, mines, and Aerial bombs) Each round would require the same regulatory process, and have to be serial numbered, each carrying the same $200 transfer Tax. Then when they are used, there is a form to complete, and submit detailing their being expended, and by serial number. Although antique Artillery is not regulated in this way, explosive munitions for them would be.
It is fun to attend a big gun shoot, I think you would enjoy it. this is typical of a Mortar shoot, the ammunition being largely old Bowling Balls fired for score. http://youtu.be/DaA8xLvFl5Q

Never seen crewed anti-tank gun fired, but what you say makes sense.

Aimer gets it on target, has hand on firing button, fires it instantly when moving target acquired. Really no other way to do it.

I still don’t like the idea of being that close to an artillery piece that has potential for serious recoil if spades aren’t dug in properly, particularly if I have my eye glued to the sight when it fires.

Mate, I would ****ing love it. Makes tractor pulls pale into nothingness.

Looks like a hole in one contest for old blokes who can’t swing a golf stick any more, and can’t afford the lurid clothes exclusive golf clubs favour :wink: :smiley:

But would we not look Dashing, and Dapper ?

14611.jpg

Yes, but not attractive.

Actually, a bit on the creepy side.

Agreed, changed the image… But there’s still good Whisky at the Club House.

Pity he wasn’t carrying just drugs, or he’d have been ignored.

Nice to know that Mexico, that bastion of freedom and rule of law where drug cartels routinely use a vast array of weapons to murder, dismember and display the bodies of whoever gets in their way, has a legal system that gets all legalistic over a geographically challenged Yank with about the standard armoury for a small time Mexican drug dealer.

Yes, better, but they’re still a bit odd. Especially the bloke on the right, who looks like he’s trying to drop a chocolate log out the back of his kilt.

Standard Scot battle Tactics I believe…

Standard Scot battle Tactics I believe…

Scots have limited battle tactics beyond an overwhelming desire to wear patterned skirts in very cold climates which produces a cold rage to kill their enemies, as illustrated by their limited national threat levels.

‘The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let’s get the Bastards.” They don’t have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.’

To put this in perspective, one has to consider the threat levels of other nations.

ALERTS TO THREATS IN EUROPE: BY JOHN CLEESE

by John Cleese - British writer, actor and tall person

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Syria and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let’s get the Bastards.” They don’t have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country’s military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we’ll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.

A final thought - " Greece is collapsing, the Iranians are getting aggressive, and Rome is in disarray. Welcome back to 430 BC".

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/926647-alerts-to-threats-in-europe-by-john-cleese

True, I doubt that he would have drawn any attention were he seen so armed on the streets of Mexico. And carrying drugs into Mexico is much akin to carrying Coals to Newcastle. Its plain sad that the approaches to the Border crossing are poorly laid out, He had thought he had turned away from the crossing, but was instead caught in the funnel like approach way, which allowed no opportunity for him to turn around. His best course at the time would have been to take his property, and abandon the vehicle, at least he wouldn’t be in Mexican Custody. To my mind there is no real reason for him have been held, perhaps the Cartels who seem to run that Country want to make a trade for some of their people that we have locked up. (seems a trend here in the U.S.)

Egads, I’m laughing so hard it hurts…

rofl3.gif

The recent trend makes one wonder if the US is, in simplistic terms, getting value for money the exchanges. And, more importantly, losing the plot on how to deal with extortionists and kidnappers.

Leaving aside questions about whether or not Sgt Bergdahl deserved to be captured or released, it is a poor policy to exchange prisoners in these circumstances.

It’s the same well intentioned but fatally flawed process which releases a hostage in return for a benefit, which leads only to taking more hostages.

I’d hate to be in the position of making the decision, but the decision always has to be: No negotiation, no release of your prisoners we hold for good reason.

And God help you if we find where you are holding our countryman as your hostage, and in the meantime God help you and everyone who looks like you that we will take out at every opportunity anywhere on the planet we can find them.

Oh, No. Sorry, we can’t do that. Only you can, because you’re terrorists and we’re democratic idiots who’d prefer to be sitting ducks shot on the water rather than getting thoroughly into your lot in ways you’d understand on your own low standards of conduct,