Soviet or Italian helmet?

Some disagreement about this picture here on the photo site…

Soviet or Italian helmets?

I’ll go with Italian, the rivets are larger, and placed higher,and more to the sides than those on a Soviet pot, the ear covers, and front " lip" are more pronounced on the soviet than on the Italian. helmet. I qualify that with “I’m no expert, just comparing the two” It has been rumored that the soviets copied the Italian design, but there is no proof of it.

Italian helmet pictured on left, Soviet on right. An additional image better showing the differences between the two.

Odd to see Italian helmets used on the Oder front in the eastern parts of Germany. Still I remember reading that Volkssturm units were occasionally issued with these.

There were some other helmets that had a similar appearance, from Hungary, and Poland. The Hungarian at Left, Polish at right. Then there is this other thing, I cant help but think it a gag, but it s supposed to be a helmet worn by Saddam’s guardsmen. In which case I think he was too much a movie fan.:mrgreen:

HunM50a.JPG

IrqFedc.JPG

soviet

Definitely.

Me too, but your analysis supports the Italian verdict.

Many Volksturm units were issued various helmets.

I have pics of them in Italian, Polish and Czech helmets.

The Saddam Fedayeen helmet, sadly, is not a joke.

They were designed by Uday Saddam as he was a great fan of Star Wars and issued to the Baathist Fedayeen.

you made my day :smiley:

I’ll go for the Italian helmet. The russian one seems to have a deeper bowl than the Italian. I can’t compare them, 'cause i only have the helmet of our Army. Best regards.

elmo_9.jpg

Latest option by the German Federal Archives: Czech made helmets?!?

I don’t know much about Czech made helmets… Here’s the only things i found about it.CIAB.jpg

The soldiers are members of the 1st Czechoslovak Indipendent Armoured Brigade. Ghwelde, near Dunkerque, France, October 28,1944.
WWII Czechoslovak Army steel helmet, model 1937.

Surely not Czech, quite certainly they are Italian mod. 33. You can see the Czech one in the picture posted by Skorzeny57, they’re clearly different.

Yes, the soviet helmet model 36 was inspired by German M1918 (like the Swiss helmet) and the model 40 by the Italian mod.33. But furhermore, strangely, both Soviet Army than Italian Army didn’t were completely satisfied by these models. In fact, the Soviets depeloved the model 40, and the Italians experimented other kinds of helmet (generally used only by MVSN), like the mod. 34 so colled “Greek” because adopted by Greek Army (and after the war copied and used by Bulgarians) and the mod. 39 (very rare and nice, so craved by Italian militaria collectors) that would had become the standard helmet in 1943 (when the Italian Army would be fit for a great war), if the war had not burst before.

Certainly, here’s a Bundesarchiv photo of Volkssturm members using Czech helmets:

Bundesarchiv Bild 183-J28898

I meant the helmets of the first photo… You wrote beside the photo: “Latest option… Czech made helmets?!?”
They re surely not Czech. These ones of the bundesarchive photo of course they’re.
Sorry for misunderstanding.

[definetely i go for Italian , bolt are differnet and shape to