Spies in the cold war

Tools for spy in the cold war is just amazing

-There is a tool called GRA 71, where the agent has to enter the secret message by morse code, then they record the message and compress the information by 1/40. then the agent would go to the US ambassadar in Soviet Union. It is very hard to detect by the KGB, because after the compression, a minute of message would only take 1.5 seconds to transfer. The Us would just need to listen to the message at 40X to receieve the message.

-Paper that would desolve in water to destroy the evidence

-Soviet has something like a flash light. If ever challenged, they would show that the flash light would actually work, and if the police check inside the battery, they would find that there are two working batteries, and nothing else. Only the spy would know one of the battery has a different design that allows the spy to put things such as photos, money, or forged documents.

-Soviet spy has a strategy to transfer information to each other, like they would agree to trade information by going into a park. they would replace a nail in a lamp post with a special design one that contains secret information inside

-soviet camera that can take photos that is smaller than a period in a paragraph, and this is year 1952 where soviet spy tries to steal american atom bomb blueprint

-soviet spy to disguised as book publisher and sell “special books” to soviet allied countries, but its actually information of british nuclear subs

-Soviet spy has develop scanner from woman make up tool, and this is the 50s. you can see simuliar products for portable scanner today.

-Soviet has spy in the american army that they would transfer important information to the vietnam high commanders, which the soldier is responsible for the death of hundreds soldiers.

Why were only soviet spies Pilot?
Thare a lot af cases when CIA agen used the simular devices.

BTW did you hear the last spions scandal in Russia, it was called “story of Spy-Stone”.
One young Brit from UK ambassadior like to walk to the one street in the Moscow park. He always walk near one place. FSB had interested of it. They stand the camera in the park. Through some days our “James Bond” come to the this plase and begin to kick the big stone by the lags. When he dissapered FSB got this stone to laboratory and …my god …inside the stone was full of electronic like space satellite. Its seem it broke of therefore the britans trued to kick it to force begin to work.
Right after that FSB took the “James Bond” and asked him what was this stone. He trued to denie but after the movie was showed he was in a hard point.
Well all country had a lot of fun when wath on TV the story of “firendship one young british and one moscow stone”. It was very fanny.
Britains side denied any relation with ( they always will deny - this is specific of secret service of any state). But nobody doubt that it was just a common intelligent work.
Nodody was blamed , nobody claimed " the evil britains" , just the great show.
Putin use this incident for the meeting low which limit the foregn sponsorship organisations in Russia. That’s all.
But it was so funny.
Putin say we will not demand to go out this young british spy - “If we go out the stupid spy - they send to here the clever spy”.

So what’s is the moral?
Pilot forget about Paper that would desolve in water , photo cmera inside battery - those all are ancien age .
The new level of spy industry - the computerized stone on the your city park alley.:wink:

Cheers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7097646.stm

Oh Dani nice staff thank you.
And welcome back;)

former Russian frogman has claimed that he killed British diver Cdr Lionel “Buster” Crabb, who disappeared while spying on a Soviet warship in 1956.
Cdr Crabb vanished after the vessel, which had brought Soviet leaders to Britain, docked in Portsmouth Harbour.

Now retired sailor Eduard Koltsov claims he cut the Englishman’s throat as he caught him placing a mine.

Mr Koltsov tells a Russian documentary that he needed to tell the truth about the Cold War mystery before he died.

Suspicious activity

The Soviet ship Ordzhonikidze had brought Nikita Khrushchev and other leaders for meetings with the British prime minister Anthony Eden and his ministers.

I saw a silhouette of a diver in a light frogman suit who was fiddling with something

Eduard Koltsov

Several months later a headless corpse, identified by a friend as Cdr Crabb, was found floating along the coast.

At the time the diver went missing, the Navy said he was feared drowned in Stokes Bay - some miles to the west of Portsmouth Harbour.

What happened to him had been a mystery ever since.

But now Mr Koltsov, who was 23 at the time of the incident, says that he had been ordered to investigate suspicious activity around the ship.

He says he then spotted Cdr Crabb fixing the mine on the ship’s hull.

In the documentary, he shows what he says is the dagger he used and the Red Star medal he says he was later secretly awarded for his bravery.

“I saw a silhouette of a diver in a light frogman suit who was fiddling with something at the starboard, next to the ship’s ammunition stores,” he tells the film crew.

The Ordzhonikidze brought Nikita Khrushchev on a diplomatic visit

“I swam closer and saw that he was fixing a mine.”

Cdr Crabb - who was 47 when he disappeared - had been well-known for his actions in World War II. He received the George Medal for removing Italian limpet mines from British warships at Malta and an OBE for mine clearance at Livorno.

The incident wrecked attempts at a rapprochement between Britain and the post-Stalin government in Moscow.

The Russians protested they were being spied upon by their hosts and, in the Commons, the government was asked if the security services were out of control.

I just wonder who could get the profit of wrecked of Soviet-British rapprochement during the Cold War?
Let me a guess form a one attempts?
USA?:slight_smile:

If so, the choices are:

Crabb was run by America,

OR

Koltsov was run by America.

Neither makes sense.

Thanks Chevan, but I never left the board.:wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/9/newsid_4741000/4741060.stm

It appears that Lionel Crabb was on a spying mission for MI6 - unbeknown to the prime minister. The statement by the Admiralty was an attempt to cover up the mission but when the Soviets claimed to have seen a frogman Sir Anthony Eden was forced to speak out. Sir John Alexander Sinclair, head of MI6 was subsequently forced to resign.
The headless body of a man in the remains of a diving suit was found in Chichester harbour in 1957. A coroner concluded that it was Crabb’s body and it was buried with his silver-mounted swordstick.
Ten years later a human skull was found partly buried in sand at Chichester harbour. Although there were several teeth in the jaw they had no distinguishing marks which could link them to Crabb, but a pathologist claimed the skull was the same age as the torso.
Rumours about what really happened to Commander Crabb continued to circulate in the media. One theory was that he had been killed by a new anti-frogman device fitted experimentally to the Soviet cruiser Ordzhonikidze or a sniper on the deck.
Other reports claimed Commander Crabb was alive and well and living in the Soviet Union or East Germany or that he had been taken prisoner by the Russians.
The Cabinet papers concerning the Crabb affair will remain secret until 2057.

Why so?

If America is running the show, it has to control either or both Crabb and Koltsov.

Clearly it didn’t control Kolstov.

How could America control Crabb?

Britain wouldn’t do anything unless it was in Britain’s interests as well as America’s.

What was the British interest in wrecking Soviet-British rapprochement?

And what was the British interest to send the spy-frogman under the soviet military ship during the Friendly visit?
Did not they realise this is a PURE provocation?
Or maybe it was a certain forces inside the Britain- who want to wreck the possible Soviet-British friendship?

Oh come on Chevan, dont be niaive. Spying during military visits did and still goes on.

That’s possible.

The documents have an unusually long time before they can be released. Thirty years rather than a hundred years is the usual rule.

So called security forces in most nations have a tendency to succumb to paranoid beliefs about their enemy and to believe that they are the guardians of their nation, and to act accordingly.

You won’t get better examples in America than J. Edgar Hoover and James Jesus Angleton.

But where is there any evidence that America was responsible for wrecking a Soviet-British rapprochement? Which was your original point.

Well i think i not so naive like the Mi6 director who has send the frogman to fix the “bomb” in naive believe that nobody on Ship noted this.
How could they did it without the consultations with the British gov?

Mate you say that the documents still closed but you assert it could not be the CIA?
Why do you so sure about it?
In fact there were a CLOSEST cooperation between Mi6 and CIA untill now in manies operations.

But Chevan, it’s so hard to beleive that Brits could have their own operation? Only the CIA and the KGB might had the right to think the approaches and the operations?

I’m not asserting anything about the CIA or anything else.

You’re the one who is pointing the finger at America.

Where’s your evidence?

Sure the CIA and MI6 have always cooperated. But they didnt ask each others permissions to carry out Ops but did and do share the intel. Though they havent and dont always share everything. National security still comes into it.

Used to be the same with Submarine Ops, UK Subs would carry out thier own Ops and then share info with the US and vice versa.

LOL “Provocation?” Such things were SOP for both sides during the Cold War. It was certainly fair game for MI6 to place taps on Soviet ships, and it was equally fair game for the Soviets to assassinate perceived enemy agents - although I think in this case it was quite excessive and the Soviets could have just kidnapped him…

Has anyone heard the rumor of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards “Quds Force” supposedly painting a bullseye target on an American warship in some Middle Eastern port of call?

The only real provision that I’m aware of was that the US and UK would not conduct intelligence or counterintelligence operations on each other’s territories without prior notice and cooperation.

And there are US intelligence documents stamped “NOFORN,” meaning they don’t even go to the British or Canadians without special permission…

It wasn’t a bomb. I believe it was some sort of intelligence tracking device to monitor Soviet naval movements or to tap communications. I read about this quite a long time ago…

Same here, I have often been in briefings where the US and Canadian exchange guys hadto leave. Sometimes it becomes ludicrous as those are the very guys that are scheduled to fly the mission and guess what, they dont fly blindfolded!!!

However, from experience, the US and UK Int community is a long way to being the most integrated of any 2 nations on Earth and has gone on so long that both nations just take it for granted that they know each other inside out and share 99% of everything automatically. I dont think any 2 nations have ever had this degree of integration and its definately not 1 way. In a NATO HQ other nations used to curse us for it, Im thinking France and Germany here mainly, but others too.